Am I being paranoid? Drop in egg production?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I recently started logging my hen's egg laying habits in hopes to catch a drop in egg production if it could be a symptom that something was wrong. Well, I may have just noticed a drop in egg production. The young bantams are the only birds laying currently, and I was actually impressed that they were laying this early in the season. Either way, they have been laying pretty consistently for a few weeks now. I'd get 3, maybe 4 eggs a day? Sometimes only 2, but thats to be expected. I have 5 bantam hens in that flock that are laying. Recently, maybe 4 days ago, they suddenly stopped. I just started this log almost the day of the egg production drop, which I think is actually what made me think of it. For the last 4 days I've had no eggs. Maybe 1 the second day of "the drop", but that was a few days ago. Should I be concerned? Maybe I'm just paranoid because of the whole AI going around, and since that is a symptom.
They're acting fine, weather hasn't changed and its only getting lighter each day. Thoughts? I've dug through the bedding in the coop every morning encase they're getting buried. They aren't laying them in the run. This seemed to show up right after I moved their perch during coop cleaning, but I doubt that would cause it? Thanks for the help everyone, maybe I just need someone to tell me I'm paranoid. :lol:

When ever I have had a sudden egg production drop, it has always been a hidden nest. And they can be very hidden, in practical plain sight. Go down a day, with a cup of coffee and a book, and wait... I am betting a hidden nest somewhere.

Mrs K
It wouldn't surprise me. :rolleyes: I'll have to check again tomorrow, then watch and wait. I'll have to take my school work out their tomorrow.... I'll update and see what I find.

My ladies hate me moving anything in their coop. I get a slow down from a few of them. I have also noticed when I have a week like this that predictors have been around. I have cameras in my yard and can see when predictors are hanging out more. My avatar is of an owl I caught on camera.

My ladies hate me moving anything in their coop. I get a slow down from a few of them. I have also noticed when I have a week like this that predictors have been around. I have cameras in my yard and can see when predictors are hanging out more. My avatar is of an owl I caught on camera.
We do have security cameras, most of the time there aren't plugged in unless we're gone though. I'll have to plug them in and see if I pick anything up. That is an awesome photo! I'll update if I see anything on the cameras tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom