Am I being paranoid or do I have sick chicks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by msviolaceous, May 10, 2011.

1. msviolaceous

msviolaceous Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Our six girls were hatched 4/25 and purchased at 5 days old from a hatchery. They are on unmedicated purina chick starter, and have never been outside or exposed to other poultry since we brought them home.

We had them out for one-on-one handling and cuddling earlier and I noticed some strange behavior. I am not very concerned just yet, inclined to take a wait-and-see approach, but if I need to be panicking and trying to get them some chicken antibiotics or something I'd like to know.

The little Buff Orp was sneezing. All of them sneeze from time to time, but she was sneezing more often, they were productive sneezes, and she would wipe or itch her beak on the ground afterwards. I also saw her shake her head a little.

Camilla the white leghorn was shaking her head quite a bit, every few seconds for a while. We were watching tv while cuddling so I paused it to see if the noise was bothering her. She only did it once or twice more after that, and not as forcefully. No sneezing here.

No lethargy or other symptoms. Everyone is bright eyed and bushy tailed.

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    What kind of bedding are using? The dust from the bedding can cause sneezing and breathing problems! I had this problem with my chicks for the first time this year, as soon as I took out the pine shavings all the chicks were suprisingly better!

3. msviolaceous

msviolaceous Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    It is pine shavings, but very well ventilated as they are in a ferret cage with lots of space. If not pine shavings, what do I use?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by