Hey all, I don't like to cause any fusses about things like this and like to smooth things over with breeders/sellers first and foremost (because I've BEEN there, ok)...But I'm not sure what to do in this situation? I ordered some goslings and ducklings early this month, and they were due to hatch and ship Monday, and be here today, very early. I called the post office at 7:30, just in case they forgot to call me. No chickies! Worried about my babies, I got online and checked my email...And saw a message sent about 2:30 AM, telling me that they did not have enough goslings to send my order, and that the entire order would have to wait until May 15. I have been fretting these past three days about my birds in the mail! And I threw out my back setting up their brooder (which is more my bad but I'm whining here, ok). The hatchery already has my money, and has had it since the beginning of April. Should I be ok with this? I ask because I've been told I have a tendency towards lenience that can get me in trouble...Or am I just whining?