am I broody? (pic)

Christie Rhae

Songster
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
Big Island, Hawaii
Does this describe a broody hen? She is BR, about 10 months old, she sits in the nest box most of the day and night. She will get up and eat once in awhile and she does not always go back to the same nest box. I collect eggs (no rooster) so sometimes she is sitting on nothing but a golf ball. She does not lay an egg after sitting in that box for hours. She does not try to bite me or anything and will let me feel underneath her for eggs but she does not get up or shoo off easily. The other night I had to pick her up and push her out of the nest to get her to go eat. I am considering getting a couple random fertile eggs from a friend just for the adventure of a hen with chicks. I read that the hen helps chicks assimilate into the flock easier. That would be cute.
I am going to incubate some eggs that will be arriving in two weeks that are important to me so would not have an incubator available if she decided she was done being broody before chicks hatched. Sigh...decisions... all part of the chicken adventure I guess.

62282_broody.jpg

i wish my broody was that pleasant. she does a hard cold stare and glares without even looking at my. if i reach my hand in, her feathers ruffle and make her look double sized and she starts growling. i get too close, and she tries to take a piece outta me

Definitely put some fertile eggs under her! She should sit on them until they hatch if she has just gone broody.

I have done the chick raising thing on my own and after letting one of my hens do the raising, I will never, I repeat never raise chicks without a hen again. It is sooooo much easier and such a great experience. I have a broody right now and have an order of chicks coming that I will slip under her because I don't want to worry about roosters but for me, I would rather wait for one of my hens to go broody to grow my flock than to do it on my own because they do such a good job of raising the babies. Go for it!...
wink.png

She looks like my broody little hen!
lol.png

H C...I like how you call it the "pancake" position.
lol.png
Mine looks like she's about an inch high with a little knob head.
roll.png

Yes, sounds like she's broody.

I got her some Mon. from someone on CL. Then I found out today the neighbor's daughter had some I could have had for free!
barnie.gif
Oh well, I got breeds I wanted and only paid .50 ea. Got 9, paid for 8 because he wasn't there when I came to pick them up. And they are FRESH, he went out to the coop to get them!
clap.gif

sweet! fresh is best!
smile.png

i haven't gotten any eggs since mine went broody
sad.png

there are 3 sussex hens and a banty hen. the nest box is one long box, and she keeps rolling the fresh eggs underneath her

i plan to normally incubate, but she went so broody so quick, that i decided to let her have her "fun," so the non-divided nest box usually isn't a problem

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom