Am I crazy??? Chicken depression!!!

Southern28Chick

Flew The Coop
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
My 1 year old roo has lived by himself in a section of the chicken yard for about 11 weeks now. I've let him out a couple of times for "supervised visitation" with my almost 17 week old pullets. For the past 2 nights I noticed his poops are very small...I mean VERY small. Like smaller than a dime!!! I'm not sure how much he's eating, he never eats his Rooster Booster feed that I've bought just for him, he usually eats bugs and grass. I felt his crop which seems to be a normal size.

Could he be depressed because he's not getting the "chicken loven" he was used to when he lived with hens his age at his last home? Should I just let him move in with my girls who will be 17 weeks old on Monday? He's lice/mite free now and lookin for love. Would it be ok now that the girls are getting closer to laying age? I want my girls to be safe and stress free but I'm also now really attached to my roo and I don't want him to be sad and get sick from depression.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah I have 23 girls, one is blind and has her own house and run so he can only get to 22 of them. They're still young though. Is that ok?

At 17 weeks they should be ok. I'd only ever seen my roosters go after my girls when they were within days of laying. I don't think they really bother with the ones that aren't "ready." Just my experience though.

At 17 weeks...I think your hens will be safe with the roo. My gals were raised with thier roo...and not a problem. They are just now laying...and...well..he is being the big daddy he wants to be!
smile.png
I would put them together. They will be fine.

I only ask because he has been rough with them lately. One of my poor girls had the meat pulled off the back of her neck by him. I don't have any older girls so my younguns is all he has. He's tries to man handle them.

My roo was pretty rough with the girls too when I first put him in with them. After a couple of weeks he has turned into a perfect gentleman. The ladies follow him around and make a big fuss over him now. I was constantly worried that he would hurt one of them but he never did. He was just very anxious to be a real roo I guess. Time has mellowed him, or maybe he is just plain worn out.
gig.gif

Gayle
Chi lady in Michigan

Tomorrow I'll try some unsupervised visitation. I already know he got one of my EE's the other day. I couldn't get to them fast enough to stop it. I guess I shouldn't stop it. They're my baby girls though. It's fuuny that all the other girls were standing around in a circle watching.

My roo was pretty rough on my girls so last week i placed him in solitary. I hoping to be able to replace back with the girls in a couple of weeks. He pecked a redstars head til i saw blood and she was traumatized by him. To tell you the truth they seem alot happier without him, but who knows maybe they will learn to miss him.

Back
Top Bottom