Am I crazy - First day free range

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ZuniBee, Jan 26, 2008.

1. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    This morning, on a whim, I decided to leave the gate open on our egg layers run. By the time I opened all the coops and came back a few of the girls were already exploring. I have always wanted to let them free range on the property but never had the nerve to just let them go. Well, they are out now and loveing it. Hopefully they will all come back this evening and hopefully nothing will get them....

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    They will come back, they always go back to the food source. It was hard for me to let mine loose the first time. I went in the house for about half an hour and they had all put themselves back in the run but came right back out once they saw me. Good luck and have fun.

3. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] AW They will come back,they know where to eat ! I let mine free range all day long.....they always come and go from the coop...........stayed out the entire 1st day......... watch um come running when you show up tonight......... [​IMG]

4. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    [​IMG]

5. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    I bet they'll have a wonderful time exploring around.They'll be alright, just go out & check on them from time to time.
    If I'm out with the chickens & notice a flying predator I'll clap my hands loud & say SHOOOO .Sounds silly but it gets their attention & they'll take cover if nessesairy (sp?)
    I'm sure your chickens will sleep good tonite,lol.

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no pen around my coop, so I open the door and they wander, though not too far as it is COLD! My yard is fenced and it is a yard, no property to speak of. The girls go in each night at dusk and pile into one nest box...I just lock the door behind them...so far so good. The wire will be put up in the spring. Right now I just have to make sure when the girls are out, the dog is in!

7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I let mine free range from day one. It's just more enjoyable watching them run around the property and running up to greet me whenever I step outside. If you are nervous about it, start small at first and just let them out a little before sunset. Either way, they won't go far at first but will slowly go farther and farther - BUT....they will always come back to roost at night - mine also come back all day long to lay their eggs.

8. rjv_piper

rjv_piper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Utah
    Ya, all my mutt and chickens I'm not going to show get to get out and explore daily. I keep my nice show chickens locked up so nothing gets them.

9. seagullplayer

seagullplayer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Only time I ever had trouble getting them back in the house was after a night raid by a racoon the night before. [​IMG]

With feed the price that it is, I except to see more chickens running loose this spring. [​IMG]

10. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    Man are they having a blast! (and so am I just watching them!) I left the gate and the front door open and they are all over the place. I'm going to start letting them out a lot more.

The two roo's were a bit confused at first...they were running around trying to keep all the girls together. They finally realized it wasn't going to happen! Now I just have to wait to see if they all make it into the coop at dark!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by