Am I crazy for raising chicks this way?

Heron's Nest Farm

Songster
8 Years
Dec 11, 2011
Oregon
SO I did chick to hens years ago. Maybe I had beginners luck, but I had no problems and didn't really baby them. Here is my MO. Any suggestions or warnings?
  1. Locking them in the hen house. They are the only inhabitants.
  2. Putting heat lamp in one corner.
  3. No access to the outside.
  4. Small waterer available.
  5. Organic chick feed

That is it. Check them a couple times a day, Avoid handling in the beginning. Watch them grow. I am buying chicks as I do not currently have equipment for hatching. Let them into the yard when they seem sturdy. We are in Oregon with a fairly temperate climate. ONce big enough start handeling more for friendliness and relationship.

Am I missing anything?

If it works for you that's all that matters, sound like what I do only I handle mine from day one.

Sounds OK to me, except that when we brood out in a barn pen, we normally place the heat lamp more in the center. The chicks can move into the heat circle or away from it at will. They self regulate that way. Too cold and they'll pile up on each other and chirp away madly. If the heat circle is too hot, they'll stay more around the edges of it. With some observation, you'll know when you have it "just right".

I love to observe the chicks more than once a day. I enjoy doing so. Perhaps you don't care to or don't have time to do so. That's up to you. Young chicks take awhile to get used to the Giant Human Being who is towering over them. After awhile, they'll get used to you.

Just a warning on the heat lamp. They are dangerous as all get out. A fire hazard of the worst kind. Be sure and have a backup cable secured on the darn thing. Do not trust just the electrical cord or the clamp to hold it. Safety first.

BTW, we NEVER brood indoors.. Always out in a garage or barn. If we have to, we use two lamps, side by side, but only when it is around 45F. At 45F and above, a single 240watt red lamp bulb is plenty. Good luck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom