Am I crazy if I let my kids to this with the chickens...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mycutekitties, Nov 20, 2009.

1. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    I have 6 chickens (2 we are pretty sure they are Roosters) that are 4 months old. They have been raised being picked up and played with. One of our chickens would even ride around on my daughters shoulders when she would play outside.
    BUT I am worried about the Roosters. My 5 year old daugher still picks them up and carries them around. Do you think I need to tell her to stop playing with the Roosters. I worry about them turning on her and attacking her. I took this picture today:
    [​IMG]

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    No, I would let her keep playing with them, she's socializing them in my opinion and that's a very good thing!! Cute pic by the way! [​IMG]

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I'm not experienced enough to make a helpful comment, but what a cute picture! Maybe just be around when she wants to handle the rooster?

4. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    Have her scream and yell if the rooster make a move. it worked for me. Mine hasn't bothered me since I did that, but I still can't handle him. He refuses!

5. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I'd be very careful about getting an eye injury. But that's with any chicken. I had a friend get a nasty scratch on an eye when she opened the coop to feed the chickens, they came off their roosts and one of them scratched her eye with a claw. I am very guarded now when I'm around them. Even a flapping wing can sting like crazy.

6. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    I think it's fine but I don't know the rooster. He might think she's one of the hens and try to put her to be submissive. Keep an eye on him. If he does the "courting" dance you need to tell her she needs to show the rooster that she is above him and will NOT be submissive. I don't want your little girl to get hurt. Roosters can be dangerous.

I have a rooster and I hold him a lot. I wear safety glasses when I do. They are awesome! A night or two ago I forgot to put them on and my rooster pecked me in the eye. He didn't mean to, of course. He probably thought my eye was a bug. My rooster is not aggressive towards me at all, thank goodness. My eye is fine. I do suggest safety glasses! [​IMG]

My roo is a bantam (a miniature). I caught him doing the courting dance to me the other day which is basically the mating dance. I heard that whenever the roo does that to pick him up and parade him around the girls. It will make him feel embarrassed. But since your daughter picks him up anyways, I don't know. [​IMG] Maybe have her give the rooster a slap if he does this dance.. Hopefully someone with more experience will pipe in!

The verdict: I think your daughter will be fine, but I'd consider safety glasses. Just in case. Because it would really be bad if she lost an eye to a chicken. By the way, I'm no expert. I've only had chickens since the end of last June.

Oh and- this goes the same way for the girls. Have your daughter wear safety glasses if you are that concerned. While holding the boys AND the girls. Girls can peck too!

7. mycutekitties

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    I think the safety glasses are a great idea! That might be the new rule in our house. [​IMG]

8. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    I know it has saved me from many poked eyes. My roo sits on my shoulder sometimes and he pokes at the glasses sometimes even. [​IMG]

9. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Very cute pic...If your chickens are 4 months old, then they are just coming into sexual maturity. You need to be aware that the personalities and behaviors of your roosters could change very suddenly. They could be sweet, or they could become aggressive, it is really hard to predict. And I really don't think handling them makes much difference either way in how they turn out. It would be good if you can prepare your kids for a possible flogging, perhaps watch one on you tube, so they know how to react and possibly defend themselves. I hope this is not how they turn out, but be prepared for the possibility. They may also start fighting with each other--then they will need to be separated. I am not a big fan of young kids with roosters...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  10. mycutekitties

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    I want to get rid of both Roosters but my husband wants to keep one until we have our first batch of babies then get rid of the males. I am so scared they will turn on the kids. I think soon we will make a rule of "only playing with the hens".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by