Am I crazy? *long rant/vent*

Robin'sBrood

Crowing
12 Years
May 8, 2008
North Carolina
Please tell me I'm not having a middle age crisis here, and that I'm normal for wanting this. Okay, here goes...

My DH and I live in a big subdivision that is 20+ years old. We bought our house a little over 16 years ago while the neighborhood was still young. Most of the kids in the 'hood were preschoolers and elementary school aged so it was nice for us because we had a 4 year old when we moved in and we wanted to live where he (and our future kids) would have a safe place to live with lots of friends nearby. Well, that 4 year old is now 20 and living on his own. His siblings are 15, 10 & soon-to-be 7 year olds and they do have a few friends here.

This neighborhood is not the same place it was back then. A lot of the original neighbors have moved, there are some rental properties in here now, some properties that are very unkempt, and we have feuding neighbors living all around us. Due to the neighborhood feuds, there is a tension as thick as pea soup here. DH and I are caught in the middle of this because our kids are friends with ALL the kids of the feuding neighbors, and we refuse to choose sides and get involved in this current battle (over property lines, this time) This makes us targets because each group THINKS we have chosen a side, even though we've told them we aren't getting involved. We've instructed our kids to stay out of this battle and to be friends with everyone. This isn't something that kids should be involved in anyway.
roll.png

Our house will be paid for in a few years but I'm sooo ready to GET OUT of a subdivision that I could scream. To top if off, I have found a very attractive mobile home on a permanent foundation plopped right in the middle of 5 acres that I want sooooo bad! I'm willing to sell our 10 room house, which is probably about 2500 sq. ft., and downsize to a mobile home because I really, really want LAND. The area we live in is growing like crazy and 5 acres of land alone would cost as much or more than the property/home I've found.

The older I get, the more my desire to get closer to nature becomes. I want peace and quiet and SPACE. I want to be able to go outside and not have to wonder about how many eyes are staring at me. I'd like to be able to go out in my yard in my robe!

Am I crazy? Do I need to just suck it up for my kids' sake? Would the kids resent me forever if I pulled them away from their friends? Sigh.
sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I don't think you're crazy!

If you decide to move, (and I couldn't blame you if you decide to!) your kids may be resentful for awhile, but they would get used to it. When I was in high school, my parents decided to put the house up for sale and move 3 states away...and I dealt with their decision, it was their house, not mine.

You'll never regret moving your kids to the country. You may find the trailer small at first but it will grow on you because you'll be living outdoors most of the time anyway. We moved from 2500 sqft to 1200sq feet and I LOVE the smaller house. It cleans up in an hour and then I am free to go poke in my garden, take care of or just watch my chickens, or go for a walk. Life is so sweet and simple. I heard it said this way just yesterday...Do you own your stuff or does it own you? If it owns you and is causing a head ache then do something about it.

We kept our kids busy with dirtbikes, pets of thier chosing, campfires every night, roasting marshmallows there is so much to do in the country, let them know that and they will want to go too...they can visit thier friends, but kids are so resilient that they will soon find new friends close by

Last edited:
With all that land, you could get a pool, put up a basketball goal, your kids could have their friends over for cook outs and outside activities. We live out in the country, and my stepsons live in town, they always bring their friends over for outdoor things, and they all love the animals. The boys, and their friends would rather "hang out" way out here than in town where they live.

Oh and thier own tree forts that they can actually spend the night in...my goodness my kids did it all...my youngest is 14 now and he would never move into town...he gets angry if I ever mention it

No, I don't think you're crazy at all. I'd want the 5 acres too.
We're actually in a similar situation. We're in the middle of town, my parents and brothers are 'renting' our apartment above the garage out back and there is constant bickering with the neighbors all the time, since my brothers are (to put it lightly, morons)...
So, we've decided to just leave it all. We spoke to the realtor and we've signed paperwork for a 3 acre lot with a little farm house. We'll be going from 2500 sq ft in town, to less than 800 sq ft in the 'country'. And I'm excited... SUPER excited. My kids are only 3 and 1. We're planning to homeschool. I wouldn't be so much worried about their ties to friends, just make up for the loss. Like, maybe grow a family garden and invite the friends over for a 'canning party'. Teach them how to preserve their own food, which can be just as entertaining, if not more, than the darn mall.
lol.png

I'm 23, but I feel like I'm 53. You say the older you're getting the more you want to be closer to nature, I feel ya there. I don't want any part of this main stream life, at all. This neighborhood is going into the crapper and we need to get out as soon as we can.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
hugs.gif

The mobile home is actuall over 1900 sq ft and has 4 bedrooms, so it isn't like we'd be on top of each other. From the pictures I've seen, it looks very nice. That part isn't what worries me, it would be the absence of kids for my kids to play with that worries me. Of course, on the bright side, if we had 5 acres we could have more animals for them to be friends with.

I'm kicking myself so much because not long after we bought our house my dad, who is very much an outside person, wanted to buy a large amount of land (50 acres, I think) about an hour away from here. He wanted us to all build on the land. I didn't want to because at the time I loved our subdivision. Well, that land is long gone and the land in that area is skyrocket high now too. WHY, OH WHY, DID I TURN HIM DOWN???? Because I was a stupid 25 year old, that's why.
roll.png
sad.png

Thanks for letting me get this out.

Hindsight is always better than foresight:>) And at 25 not many people are yet ready for the country life:>)
Your kids will find kids to play with. Will they be going to a country school? That will open up alot for them if they do

we moved from a house in town to this "doublewide" home, they make em' alot better now days than years ago! we gutted it, and put down wood laminate floors, painted, and put up a 30 X 50 barn, and have added a chicken house, and 2 goat barns. We have 6 acres, and a few acres are in alfalfa, so we have a neighbor who bales it for us, we give him some of the hay, but it is enough to feed our 2 miniature donkeys, 5 big goats, 7 little baby goats, deer... with lots left over!
I have never regretted it! we have 1 neighbor that is close and they have critters too, so its wonderful. we even put a gate between our propertys so we can visit easier. I love the country life, and the taxes on a mobile home is lots cheaper!!!!!!
Go for it!!!!

Back
Top Bottom