Am I Crazy - Open Top Run for Silkies?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Speak2Erin, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Speak2Erin

Speak2Erin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    Riverview, FL
    We have Welsummers and EEs in a mega run/coop that is completely covered on every side and the top is covered plus their coop attached. They get sealed in at night to protect from predators. Our ducks are free range all day and then get locked in a separate coop/box at night in that same enclosure.

But - my husband brought home silkies. I'd like to keep them nearer to the house, like in our garden. I was going to put up a fence and then it would be house walls on the other three sides. I would also have a nestbox and coop that is locked up at night (coyotes, raccoons, opossums are out at night.) but there would technically be no roof on the run during the day.

Is this crazy for silkies? I feel like I am protecting them less than the other chickens, but I also think maybe I went overboard with the other chickens. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

first of all [​IMG] from San Diego High desert.

I would either build a full on coop with shelter or put the Silkys in with the rest of your chickens. In an open top run You risk loosing them to all the predators you are protecting the main flock from. Because Silkeys cant fly they wont take up perch space.... They can hop a little so building them a low perch to get them up off the floor would be an excellent idea.

What I did with mine was put in a dog kennel box and my Silkies slept in that. Untill I found out they could flap and motor up to roost on a saw horse I had in the coop. thats when I put in the "short stuff" perch.... [​IMG]

So much easier to care for eveyone in one location.

deb

3. Speak2Erin

Mar 12, 2016
    Riverview, FL
    Thanks, Deb. We are going to put up a gazebo in the garden too. So it would eventually have a roof to protect from flying predators. (Hawks). Do you think that would be enough for day time protection? If not, we'll do the full blown covered run.

And yes! We have to build the coop still for them, if we don't integrate them with the other chickens. I told my husband they barely roost and that people actually will put them up for the night. [​IMG] He had no idea when he brought them home. Right now they are so itty bitty and cute. I'd like them more as "pets". If I could keep them in my house like birds, I would!

I like this idea:

[​IMG]

But from experience, you would say no? (Even with a gazebo covering? Because I already have a bench and table I sit at to watch the ducks.)

4. perchie.girl

They make chicken diapers for house chickens... Not kidding. They were invented by some people who had a house goose....

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Diapers-and-Saddles/Chicken-Diaper-Removable-Liner-p494.aspx

you can find the pattern on the internet...

for what its worth they Can be integrated in your flock.

deb

5. Speak2Erin

Mar 12, 2016
    Riverview, FL
  6. perchie.girl

7. Speak2Erin

Mar 12, 2016
    Riverview, FL

Oh - these little ones will end up outside eventually. I agree they need to be chickens. But it's fun. I love watching them (the silkies) feather out.

And yes! That's my Muscovy Momo! Impulse adoption, it was alone when my husband was picking up the welsummers. It was hatched at a school and had imprinted on people. We then bought Pekins to keep it company. One Pekin was killed by a coyote ([​IMG]) but the Pekin and Muscovy are pretty fond of each other. And we just took on two more Pekins, so we have four ducks. Never intended - but they are characters! Momo the Muscovy has my heart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by