Am I crazy?

cheepthrill

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2018
Missouri City, TX
Hi all!
I just got back from visiting our relatives in rural Louisiana, and it seems I always come home from trips there with a new animal of some kind.
So I came home today with 3 Serama chicks! We live in a subdivision in a suburb of Houston, so the small size is probably just right.
Am I nuts? What did I just get myself into? My 12 year old daughter is completely in love already, and swears she will take care of them. (but you know how that story usually ends.) She has them in a brooder in her room while we have a blast looking at coop designs!
I also have a 15 year old son. So we have that typical busy life running to school events, scouts, work, and everything in between. I am hoping their care will not be a burden, but will be a fun and learning experience for all of us.
Now here's hoping I didn't end up with 3 roosters!

Hi all!
I just got back from visiting our relatives in rural Louisiana, and it seems I always come home from trips there with a new animal of some kind.
So I came home today with 3 Serama chicks! We live in a subdivision in a suburb of Houston, so the small size is probably just right.
Am I nuts? What did I just get myself into? My 12 year old daughter is completely in love already, and swears she will take care of them. (but you know how that story usually ends.) She has them in a brooder in her room while we have a blast looking at coop designs!
I also have a 15 year old son. So we have that typical busy life running to school events, scouts, work, and everything in between. I am hoping their care will not be a burden, but will be a fun and learning experience for all of us.
Now here's hoping I didn't end up with 3 roosters!

yes probably certifiable but Welcome to Backyard Chickens your in like company so pull up a chair

I have been poking around on the forums....Are 3 chicks going to generate a lot of dust in my daughter's room? From what? They are in pine shavings right now.
The dust comes from the chicks themselves. The first week or two of life, it isn't that bad. But then their feathers start growing in, and the dander will soon coat everything.
Chickens are very easy to take care of, and don't really require much effort besides fresh food and water everyday and changing the bedding as needed.

Seramas are Big chickens in a tiny package. My friend had two females that chased the dog out of his bed. Stole food from his dish, and took off with his toys. They also sat on either side of her when she was watching TV.

PS dog was used to chickens and a very good sport.

I have been poking around on the forums....Are 3 chicks going to generate a lot of dust in my daughter's room? From what? They are in pine shavings right now.
:welcomeI'm not CRAZY!!!!!!!!!! :rantwhats the matter with you calling me crazy :rolleyes:. Just cause I got two hundred chickens and only wanted twenty :hmm. That don't make me CRAZY!!!!!!!!:rant:rantThem chicken breed like rabbits and worse hide it . Another day another dozen .:idunno:lauThe dust is in the feed and chick dander which is what they shed as they put out feathers . With chicks and well most chickens you keep feed in front of them around the clock .Shavings help keep down the dust. Still I would advise covering all electronic appliances in the room they are in . And really I wouldn't keep them in the house to long adapt them to the outside air as soon as possible .

Back
Top Bottom