So our leghorns are about 9 months old, and I would really like to hatch some of their eggs incase something should happen to my roo over the winter (he's getting up there in yrs) but as of now I know my eggs are fertile. I would like to get a humidity thermometer which I don't have and start testing temps on my bator tonight or tmrw and get them set by the end of next week at the latest. Buuuut seeing as how I am in the northeast and we are going into our coldest months, am I crazy for hatching right now? I would like to set them so they're hatched by Jan 8th seeing as how I go back to school the 11th and if I wait until spring to hatch, I will be right in the middle of my busiest semester of nursing school when trying to hatch them. I know hatching in winter isn't ideal but I figure this semester is winding down and I will only have classes for the first week of incubation and then hopefully will be free through their first week of life. The other issue is, I have an LG still air so I know that without a fan (which to put it honestly I just don't understand what I'm looking for or how to connect it) that my chances of them hatching are slim anyway. My real concern is that they would only be inside the house for about a week, then they would have to move to the shed with a heating lamp for about a month. depending on the number, they would have to be out in the barn without heat at around 6-7 weeks which puts it around the end of february here in PA. Is this insane to consider? I admit, seeing pictures of fuzzybutts on here is making me a little more eager than I would be, but the other thing driving this is, I don't want to wait until June to hatch! That's too long without babies! ha ha I will probably only hatch 8 eggs with hopes of getting 2-3 chicks from the bunch.