Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jryxx, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Jryxx

Jryxx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    Central Ohio
    I am soo close to getting my ducks, when all these thoughts pop in to my head. These things live more than a few days, this isn't just a short term commitment. I only live on .25 acres, only half of that is fenced in, is that even enough land for two ducks? I have neighbors on all sides, what will they think? My entire family thinks I'm crazy, and I do not like that thought. I have wanted a pair of ducks so so badly but I am being seriously discouraged to the point where I don't want to get them anymore, yet I know that I will love them. Does that make sense, any suggestions?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's very normal to have doubts on if you made the right decision and hopefully they will pass and you'll feel excitement again before your ducklings arrive, if feeling pressure to the point your absolutely sure you do want to do this cancel before they send them. A lot of folks don't understand our enjoyment and love for waterfowl, and that's okay since we can't please everyone. Ultimately it's your decision your the one that will be responsible for their welfare. You do have to take into consideration what neighbors might say but you can always appease with fresh laid duck eggs eventually, and then again what about neighboring dogs they are usually an annoyance even during the night when ducks are usually very quite. Most important right now is how you feel if your still not sure then hopefully you still have time to cancel before the lil ones are sent out.

3. Jryxx

Jryxx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    Central Ohio
    Thank you Miss Lydia, that makes me feel a lot better. Our neighbors have a cockatoo that at times will not quit squawking, and it absolutely drives me crazy. I have not yet ordered the ducks, but I can at any time, I just have to make up my mind for more than a week first, ha ha. I am thinking about 1 pekin and 1 black Swedish. Both females.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    First thing to do is ensure you can have them(bylaws, HOA etc) if all systems are a go there, then you have a good foundation i think many folks get in real problems when they start with something illegal and don't have much land to hide it on and/or the noise starts.

I think that could occupy 2 ducks fine, they are messy though likely the #1 complaint, messy, little quacking water hogs lol Even a pair can be loud i have two buff orpingtons in my flock of Muscovy, oye they are LOUD so that is something to keep in mind. They adore mud and need water to eat and bathe in, now two shouldn't make to much mess but i'll caution you anyways, i keep 4 calls in a 10x10 run, you guessed it WAS grass lol now mainly mud, so even pound cake ducks can ruin the grassy areas.

Ducks are fun though, personable, great bug eaters and are quite hardy on the whole... i keep mine mainly for pest control, eggs and well the calls are pure pleasure(loud) but that is that. GL!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  5. TheWalkingDucks

TheWalkingDucks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2013
    Michigan
    No you're not crazy at all lol! I admit I had my doubts before I got my babies this past spring. I had wanted ducks for years and finally my parents gave in and surprised me with four! But before they brought them home I had pretty much every concern you have. But I can assure I have no regrets whatsoever. I actually didn't know I could become so attached to ducks! They're one of the best things in my life!

As for your family thinking your crazy I say it's their loss. I spend hours a day outside with mine and my whole family thinks it's strange of me, but it's the best part of my day! That definitely seems like enough space for ducks, we don't have much land ourselves, the ducks have their own nice sized pen with a coop inside and they free range for a few hours everyday. They're happy and friendly as could be! I worried our neighbors would be annoyed but it turns out about a month after we moved ours to their outdoor pen they went and got some to hahaha. :p

I love all mine, but my pekin drake Daryl is my favorite (please don't tell the others!). There's just something so awesome about pekins, so if you do get a pekin I promise she'll steal your heart instantly (and this is coming from someone who absolutely did not want a 'plain white duck' Now he's my baby lol)! I also have a khaki Campbell drake and rouen drake to. I had to rehome my khaki Campbell female today since the boys were gang banging her, but she was the sweetest thing, loved beak massages and sitting on my lap. Great egg layers too, just sayin, if you want three ducks khakis are amazing. (;

And if you're worried about noise drakes are very quiet, mine only quack when they get scared. It's my own personal opinion but I like drakes more than females. They're friendlier and more outgoing and boy are they daredevils lol! It's never a dull moment when I watch them. Not sure all drakes are like this or if mine are just crazy. :p

Anyways, whichever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck! If you do get some ducks you will be in absolute heaven, every moment you spend with them will feel like you're in paradise. <3 And I can tell by how concerned you are and how much thought you're putting into it that you will be one amazing duck parent. Any duckies would be lucky to have you!

6. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    Your not crazy..the term is special.LOL. My friends think I'm nuts for having chickens in a subdivision (adding 5 ducks only confirmed it). One neighbor has 9 dogs and another has 2 mini horses. My hubby rolls his eyes alot but as long as I'm happy he's happy. I just quit caring what people think.As long as you can care for your birds and aren't hurting anyone what does their opinion matter? Congrats on the upcoming babies but be careful chicken math applies to ducks to.[​IMG]

7. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Not crazy at all, but this is not a good time of year to get babies. It would be seriously into winter before they are old enough to go without heat and then how would you acclimate them? Just something to think about. Unless of course you have somewhere inside you could keep them, if so, its a great time to get them. I like muscovies, they are calm and very friendly and I love the way they wag their tails as they come to great me. Except for the no eggs bit, I agree that the drakes seem to make tamer pets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by