Am I Dealing With An Internal Layer???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoCrows, Dec 21, 2012.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have a Black Australorp hen that is 21 months old. She has always laid very very large, funky shaped eggs, and thin shelled eggs. It takes her nearly 2 hours to lay her eggs. Over the past month, she as laid 2 eggs with no shell, but had the inner membrane on them. All this past week, she has been going in and out of the nest box and coming out with no egg laid. At one point I thought she was going broody due to her obsession with sitting in the nest box every day. Even some evenings and nights.

Well, yesterday, out of nowhere, she started looking sick and was having liquid diarrhea. I gave her a good feel all over and she did not have any swelling in her abdomen, or stuck eggs at her vent, but her crop was distended. I gave her a vomiting and kept her in a cage over night with a heat lamp, as the temps were going to be in the single digits. She was not eating or drinking at the time, so keeping her warm was all I could think of.

This morning when I looked in on her, over night she had laid just a yolk. She was more perky this morning as well, although her crop was still a bit swollen. So I gave her some soda crackers along with her layer feed and then let her out of the cage. She headed straight for the coop nest boxes, where she still is, attempting to lay an egg.

Are these the signs of an internal layer? And if so, how long can or does this go on until it eventually kills her? Should I bother with antibiotics, even though she will continue to internally lay?

Thanks so much everybody. :)

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    I think, and I may be wrong, that the biggest risk with a hen having an egg break inside her is the infection risk. Use the search here at the top of the page, I know I have seen posts on "peritonitis".. or "egg yolk peritonitis", or "egg broke inside hen", etc.
    I have had a hen act sickly, and have "soft or weird eggs".. so, I assumed one broke inside of her and I gave her antibiotics for a few days, she recovered. I also treated her as if she were eggbound.. it is easy, cleansing, and soothing... it can't hurt her. So, go ahead and do the eggbound bath and treat with antibiotics, Baytril has no withdrawal period (newer info from what was previously thought).
    Best of luck.

3. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    If it's only her, and none other showing signs of poor egg production and/or shell quality? I'd guess genetic deficiency or internal defect, some manner of deficiency w/in the diet, or some type of infection that she's not spread to others. Other possibilities to consider are newcastle disease, infectious bronchitis, adenovirus infection or T-2 fusariotoxin.

With it being an ongoing problem, I don't imagine it's any issue of binding in her case. I'll keep an out for updates, if you have, or need, further informaiton.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello everybody and thank you for the replies! The day I posted this, I was able to get a hold of my avian vet and he is on the same page as Cowcreekgeek here, in that he feels she has a deficiency or an imbalance of calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. He is sending me some supplements to add to the flocks water to help this issue and he thinks this will clear up. He feels that many times this is a genetic issue over all.

My girl is doing better since then, although she has not attempted to lay an egg yet. She did pass another yolk that morning, so I will be on pins and needles today as I am sure she is ready to pass something today. LOL

Thank you for all the replies...I keep a close eye on my gals and of course will keep a closer eye on this hen for ever more. Thanks again!

5. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Well, these things often take a while to turn around -- if nutritional deficiencies are the cause, most any available nutrients/vitamins will most likely be consumed w/in and stored, prior to any goin' towards egg production. But, I ain't entirely sure ... lookin' forward to findin' out, myself (you're already actin' like an expectant father-to-be ~'-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by