1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

am i doing anything wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by raymondjames, Sep 18, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Hi im new to this forum [​IMG] and today just built an (ok) incubator. i used this article.
    Dont have enough spare cash so i built that. Basically i have 5 eggs. i wrote "x" and "o" on each side. basically i flip them twice a day, then sprinkle them with water once in a while, and the temperature is ~105° Farenheit (~40.56 Celsius). Am i doing anything wrong!? i just hope they hatch.

also a candling question. I candled one of my eggs (laid 1-2 days ago). i saw a dark blob thing on the inside. Is this the chick? or is it dead? my other eggs (laid this morning) are basically entirely dark with a few light spots? Were they born dead or something? Or do i have to wait? I AM 100% SURE THE HENS WERE FERTILIZED.

2. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    The Blob means their is a heart beat and others you wont be able to tell till next few days [​IMG]

3. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    THANKS! YAY... OOPS I STILL HAVE CAPS LOCK ON FROM MY OTHER POST. ok thanks! [​IMG]

4. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Umm..if they are chicken eggs your temp is too high. Chicken eggs should be be incubated at 99.5 degrees Farenheit. Also, you don't have to sprinkle them with water unless the humidity in your bator is extremely low.

5. CarolinaChickenKeeper

CarolinaChickenKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    Pauline, SC
    Quote:It takes 3-5 days b4 u can see any veining, sometimes even longer. Google candling photos for pics.
    Also where is the temp 105? is it at the top or closer to the eggs. I'd suggest placing thermometers in several places. If an egg gets too hot, it will die. So, be careful with your temps.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  6. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    yes i just adjusted about 99-100 farenheit. all seems well. thanks for the candling tips i'll check them out in a couple days.

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:If the incubator has a fan. If it is still air, you want the temp around 101.

8. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    Oh. I have still air. Adjusting again.

9. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Quote:If the incubator has a fan. If it is still air, you want the temp around 101.

Never heard that, thanks! Mine had a fan, so it was good.

10. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I think the blob you are seeing in a 2 day old egg is the yoke.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by