Am I doing it right?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Danielsmom, May 1, 2017.

1. Danielsmom

Danielsmom Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    OCEANA-MI
    I hope this is fine to post. We just bought 2 baby ducks on the 26th of April and have had them with a heat lamp since. Today tho i noticed they are tending to stay on the side of the tub (where we are holding them until they can move to a bigger outside area) where the light is not hitting as much (also close to their water dish).

I guess to make it short how long should we keep them with a heat lamp? They were "recently born" when we got them. Our house is normally between 73-75 right now. Not sure if breed matters but below is a picture taken yesterday (as i have been told 2 different breeds)

[​IMG]

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Don't know much about ducks, but if they are avoiding the heat lamp they are probably too hot. :) you could raise the heat lamp a bit.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rockyducks

Rockyducks Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017
    yes sounds like they are a bit warm, your house is warm already but having the heat light to close to them may he overheating them. BYCforlife has a great suggestion for raising it up higher. Always keep food and Water away from the heat lamp as well. They will stay under the heat lamp for a few weeks. 1st week 90-84 degrees, 2nd week 83-77, 3rd week 76-70, 4th 69-63, 5th 62-56 and 6th 55. So you can see how you can raise the lamp higher as they get older. breed doesn't matter. I have 4 different breeds and they all treat each other like siblings. Congratulations on your new additions. They are a lot of fun to watch grow in the next 5 weeks! hahaha

1 person likes this.
  4. Danielsmom

Danielsmom Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    OCEANA-MI
    Ok thank you both. I will find a way to raise it up. They grow so fast i swear they have almost doubled in size already at just a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by