Am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Meggies Eggs, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Meggies Eggs

Meggies Eggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2016
    IL
    I have almost 60 birds of various breeds. At this time 15 of the hens have been laying for a year, 24 are just now starting to lay, and the rest are to young yet or roosters (2 mature, 2 immature). Anyway, to the point. I am not getting as many eggs daily as I was say 3 months ago, and every once in a while I get a really thin shelled egg, or a rubbery egg. They have layer feed, corn, oyster shell, grit, and they are free range. I can't figure outwhat is wrong. They have plenty of nesting boxes and roosting spots and everybody gets along just fine! So what can be wrong? All seem happy and healthy!

2. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Heat, is it hot! That will slow them down. I run a fan in my coop at night to circulate the air, not blowing on the hens, if its above 55 Fahrenheit. There coop and run are under a shade tree, I have a chicken bath they can walk through. Are your older hens starting to molt? GC

3. Meggies Eggs

Meggies Eggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2016
    IL
    They have a fan, but you called it everyone is molting (I keep laughing at the roosters lack of tails). I'll try the water foot bath! We have a couple cool days ahead, may be that will help too!as free Rangers they have plenty of trees and weeds to hide in! Thank you

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by