Am I doing the right thing...........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jen4, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    This morning before I got our 4 week old chicks outside in their run for the day... they all started pecking on this one and they pecked pretty good took alot of feathers out of his butt (thinking its a roo) so I got him out of the brooder. I took all the chicks to the run and I have already pinned off a area for them to stay in all day, I put them in there and I let the pecked chick stay on the outside of the pinned in area so they wouldnt hurt him anymore. Everyone was good all day.... brought them in tonight to but them in the brooder. Didnt think it was a good idea to put the pecked chick back in with them til his butt heals so I am keep him in the dog carrier.... Is that a good idea. [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yeah, IMO you are doing the right thing. Put him/her back as soon as they heal up. If you continue to have the pecking problem after you put him back, consider adding something nasty tasting to his backside to discourage further pecking.
    If he gets miserable being alone, try another docile chick, stuffed animal, hand mirror or clean feather duster.

3. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Thanks...
    He seems to be doing fine right now but I know he would rather be in the brooder with the other but I just dont want to take the chance of them pecking him more. So he will be our special chickie right now [​IMG]

4. Umbral_Necropolitan

Umbral_Necropolitan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Bakersfield, California
    Quote:I use a teddy bear to keep my chick happy, she loves cuddling with it and sit on its head... before I put it in the brooder with her, she would peep her head off if I wasn't next to the box.

5. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I put a teddy bear in there for him, thanks [​IMG]

6. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    I had the same problem with my chicks when they were four weesk old last year. Picked the tail feathers off one BO chick until she was bleeding. I separated and let some feathers start to grow back in, only about a week. Then I put some rooster booster on her butt before I put her back in with the group. They never picked her butt again and she did just fine.

7. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    Then I put some rooster booster on her butt before I put her back in with the group.

Okay what is rooster booster...never heard of it? [​IMG]

8. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Ol'FashionHen :

Then I put some rooster booster on her butt before I put her back in with the group.

Okay what is rooster booster...never heard of it? [​IMG]

It's no pick solution. I got it our local feed supply. It's soothing on the injury and they don't like the taste of it.​

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. I think you have everything under control. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Thanks [​IMG] They all did good today, no pecking. We should have their coop done this weekend! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by