Am I doing the right thing?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by allanimals21, Nov 5, 2009.

1. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Ok. So I have a guinea on a nest. Well I just got two keets from under her this evening. She has about 12 more eggs? Its getting cold here at night and my idea is to take the eggs from her and put them in the incubator. I took the other eggs out that were put in august 22nd. They temp dropped for awhile so I thought maybe they would still hatch. There was a chick in one of them but no where near being fully developed. Anyways back to the guinea. I have gotten 4 eggs from the guinea that is sitting and have them in the incubator. All of them are making noise. Which leads me to a question. If they can only lay an egg a day how come they can hatch like 20-30 eggs in a day? Sorry if none of this makes sense. I have a bad head cold and don't quite understand myself.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:Because you or the broody guinea start all the eggs at the same time for the incubation process. The don't start development til the temp and humidity is correct. It can take acouple days for her to hatch them all out but that's the way it works.

3. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Duh! I should have maybe though about that a lil bit longer. Hens in general will lay for awhile before they actually sit right? Wow I'm so proud of myself! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by