Am I doing things right?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wvchickenhouse, Nov 16, 2011.

1. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    Just wanted some input... I'm a first timer. I have 5 leghorns and 1 wellsummer rooster. Getting ready to incubate some silkies and Ameracauna EE's.... Every day I feed cracked corn and Purina Layena (pink bag) to my girls, change their water, and clean up around their pen. Put new hay in their boxes and gather eggs. I usually get around 4-5 per day. They seem really happy, except that they have pecked my Rooster's butt clean of his feathers! They didn't like it when I brought him into the flock but are getting use to him. He seems happy.... jabbers and cocka dooodle's every day... lol They have enough space in their pen and get to free range when I'm home. I keep the old poop sprayed off the top of where they roost at night (on top of their house)...try to keep things healthy for them. I have not vacinated or wormed or done anything like that. I keep them dusted for mites/lice and everything else and they have a heat light for warmth. I live in a cold area.

Am I doing everything right or do I need to do something extra or different. I keep thinking I'm missing something??? I'm very proud of my girls and love having them.... please comment... I would appreciate it [​IMG] I have learned a lot from BYC!

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Water. Food. Clean, draft free area. Outdoor time. Love and attention. You nailed them all.

3. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    and they have a heat light for warmth. I live in a cold area.

If they are all adult birds you absolutely do not need a heatlamp. Chickens can tolerate a lot more cold than what it gets to in WV. In winter adding a heatlamp will invite resperatory illnesses because it increases the humidity. Get rid of it. Your wallet will also thank you.​

4. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    Quote:If they are all adult birds you absolutely do not need a heatlamp. Chickens can tolerate a lot more cold than what it gets to in WV. In winter adding a heatlamp will invite resperatory illnesses because it increases the humidity. Get rid of it. Your wallet will also thank you.

Thanks for the advice...it's gone tonight [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by