Am I Doing This Right Please.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by joannadale, Jan 7, 2009.

1. joannadale

joannadale Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2008
    New Zealand
    I have inherited a cottage, land and on top of it all a flock of chickens.
    Their coop had been damaged and they have been wandering in the bush since . (I live in New Zealand) I have had the coop repaired now and have rounded up as many as I can manage. In the coop I'm told I have Minorca, White Sussex, Shavers and Bantam. I've kept the Shavers on their own in the apple orchard and the remainder are in the coop about eleven of them, including some young chicks and a couple of roostes.
    Is it ok to keep mixed breeds together in the same coop or should I separate them out?

Joanna.

http://www.gardencottagblog.ruqqa.com

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

You are doing fine....yes you can mix and match....watch 'em to make sure they all get along. You may have to separate roosters if they fight over the hens, but give each roo at least a couple of hens....

--good luck! AND Lucky YOU!!

3. cristy17

cristy17 Chillin' With My Peeps

I read some of your blog awhile ago and thought that you must be one of the luckiest people ever to get the garden cottage and everything. The chickens all looked good so if you put them together in the coop there shouldn't have any problems with them adjusting to it. Good luck!

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they going in to roost at night on their own or are they still wanting to head for their old roosts in the bush? If they won't go on their own, just lock em in for a few days, once they understand they have a secure home, they will most likely ramble in on their own towards dusk.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Also you can see if they have some favorite treats and put some treats in the coop in the eves. Mine now go into the coops in the evenings and beg me for their treats.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I tried to view your blog but the page said it doesn't exist anymore.

7. joannadale

joannadale Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2008
    New Zealand
    I don't know what happened yesterday cmom I couldn't even get into it myself for hours but it seems to be alright now. thanks for the tips everyone

Joanna

http://www.gardencottageblog.ruqqa.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by