Am I doomed?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by halo, Jan 18, 2008.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I started my very first batch of incubator eggs with shipped eggs this week. After fiddling and fussing with everything, temps, humidity, I decided this evening I just couldnt stand it, so I got out the trusty Maglite to see if I could actually candle eggs. I could! It worked! I was so surprised! But then I realized I might have been looking at something very very bad. Out of 18 eggs, 16 of them look like this...

[​IMG]

Am I correct in thinking this is very very bad......

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Nope, not doomed. It's just a porous shell and I've hatched many of them.

Jody

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    The shells look very porous, can seep liquids out and let bacteria in.

4. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Hi Halo,

That egg looks pretty porous, yeah. Doesn't mean that you won't be able to hatch it, but porous eggs do tend to pose problems. They lose moisture and are more easily penetrated by bacteria. What day are you on?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If they truly look that bad, well, it isn't good. Some minor porosity isn't an issue, but that's an example of a swiss cheese egg. I usually try to candle most of my eggs before I send them out to see if I'm sending something like that to someone. I wont if I have anything to replace it with and if I have to put in a couple like that, I let the buyer know ahead of time. All you can do is hope it isn't as bad as you think. Some may hatch and some won't due to extreme porosity. As Jody said, though, some of those will hatch just fine.

6. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Being on my first hatch myself.... I at first thought you were asking about the development and not the porosity. Is this what you would expect to see development wise during the first week???

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im only on day 2. Ill keep a very close eye on them for any seepage, I don't want to ruin the 2 eggs that seem fine. I will be thrilled if I can get any of these to pip stage. Stay tuned....

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    As the old saying goes, in times of peace prepare for war....

So what does one do, if you have a whole batch of eggs incubating, and one starts seeping, and sticks to the turner, and you can't get it out without it egg-sploding. What would you do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by