Am I doomed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Badhbh, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    My daughter was collecting eggs today, and in the process dropped one. The second it hit the coop floor, the girls were all over it. It was gone almost instantly. Should I be worried that they've got a taste for eggs now and will start eating them? [​IMG]

2. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I stepped on a egg in the coop and the girls ate it. I havent had a problem with egg eating that I know of.

i am still getting atleast 7 eggs a day, and the eggs pretty much sit in the nest all day long with no one bothering them.

3. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I'm not sure chickens have the brain power to equate the yellow and white mess on the floor with the white round thing laying in the nest. Especially, if the white round thing disappeared into your daughters hands. I believe that a 4 month old human believes an object disappears when they can no longer see it. I would have to guess a 4 month old human is 1000x more intelligent than a chicken (at least with regard to these kinds of abstract things). [​IMG]

4. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Hey, i worry about these things [​IMG]

5. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    You could try putting some golf balls in there for a while. If they decide to try and eat one of those, they won't be very tasty.

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:I like that plan!

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    You could also try realistic wooden or ceramic eggs. Not tasty at all.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    We have a hen that has been laying soft shell eggs for weeks. They always get broken, or rather squished, and everyone eats them. But none of my chickens have touched the hard shell eggs (that i know of).

9. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    That's comforting. I'm collecting frequently and hoping that bird brains dont' remember how tasty that egg was. It was gone in SECONDS. Scary little cannibals.

10. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    I've worried about the same thing! But mine haven't eaten any from the boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by