Am I even close? lol

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AmyLynn2374, Dec 5, 2014.

1. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    So I realize these guys/girls are way young yet (especially the silkies and polish) but at the rate they are developing (way too fast) I've made some assumptions and am wondering if I am making any half way intellegent assumptions...lol All of these guys are barnyard mixes I hatched from eggs I got from my sister's flock. She has a ton of variety as they raise chickens and sell the eggs. I know which breeds sound familiar to me when you say the names...lol I usually can say wether it's a possibility or not. She has a big EE variety and supposedly Ameracaunas/Aracanas. Red and black sex links, austalops, NN and silkie and polish and more that I can't think of. lol. Other than the obvious ones, I have no idea what the mixes are. All but one came from brown eggs (mostly light-medium some pinkish). They are all 4 weeks old. I am basing my judgement solely on the combs and wattles + temperment and demeanor. I included the physical traits I thought were relevant to breed thus might be relevant to a gender hypothesis. So, what do you think? Any chance I am right on any of these? Any breed mix guesses would be welcomed as well. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon

As to mixes...well indeed...you've got some Naked Neck types, Some Crested types, Some barred types, and some Silkie types....it's almost impossible to tell beyond that.

A delightful barn yard mix. I like my barnyards...they grow fast and lay well and are hardy...but they can keep you guessing as to WHAT they are unless you know for certain the parentage or a telling trait comes through like Silkie shape or a Polish or Legbar crest or Wyandotte rose comb or EE beard and muff...ONLY if you know that was in the flock.

Otherwise.... [​IMG]

Lady of McCamley

EDITED TO ADD: For example, my broody in the May Rhodebar was a grab bag hatch. It was SUPPOSED to be all layer types...but there was 1 small little green egg (which hatched into a game/EE rooster with green legs but looked totally like a jaunty OEGB.) Then a barred that must have been barred rock mix...then a hen that was a dead ringer for a Welsummer, and layed dark eggs so must have been that...Then this little girl...a lovely chipmunk chick (my avatar) who grew into this lovely partridge-ish hen with rose comb...probably a Wyandotte/EE ????? or maybe a game/Wyandotte??? or possibly as Rosecomb bantam and ???? I keep guessing at what she might be...no matter...she is a good broody (probably from game???? influence?)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  3. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Thanks for your input. I have found that dispite it making it harder to sex and knowing what they will look like full grown that I am enjoying the surprise and the variety of the barnyard mix. So many different looks. Oh, and I LOVE the chipmunk striped chicks!

4. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    They are all so cute!! I'm sure it's a lot of fun too!

1 person likes this.
  5. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Which ones are Mumble & Scrappy? It would be neat if you could do a "then & now" pictures showing side by side.

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The two black ones I think are girls....lol I have actually thought about doing that....but I'd have to use those pics with group shots or try to edit as I don't think I have newbie individual pics of the last three hatchedlol

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Here you go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Oh my goodness! You did it!! They are adorable and look how much they have grown and changed. I wish I could help you ID them, but I'm not that good with younger chicks. I know you're gonna hate to see those boys go.

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I really am...lol I like the boys better than the girls...lol even though I pretty much like them all...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by