Am I feeding my ducks enough?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Princessred, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Princessred

Princessred In the Brooder

Apr 10, 2019
    Florida
    Ok, so my ducks are a yr old and are still eating the starter grain, tried 5o switch them to scratch, but they would touch the stuff! They eat very little of the starter grain, I also give them Romain lettuce, zucchini, summer squash, sugar snaps, cherry tomatoes, and always peas as their last snack before bed. Sometimes I give them mealworms... is this an okay diet or is their something else I should be giving them?

CaramelKittey likes this.
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

What kind of ducks are they? Hens or drakes and breed? What kind of starter feed? How much free range with what type of forage? Ever get duck eggs?

Smart ducks... not taking the scratch... which has very little nutrients. :cool:

3. Princessred

Apr 10, 2019
    Florida
    18CB13BC-024C-4D8E-BE8D-17902C53EF80.jpeg F04FE670-3526-49EF-BD80-D9DBEDE8262B.jpeg 2 drake khaki Campbell’s, Purina non med. start and grow. No foraging, only in the winter after fertilizer is gone from the summer... I am actually working on a spot right off their pen that doesn’t get fertilizer, I am building fences, they should be done by this weekend! I just had to build a barrier in their pen to separate them due to fighting... ( they hate that barrier! ) should their feed be medicated?

4. Princessred

Apr 10, 2019
    Florida
    No advice? Anyone....

5. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Free Ranging

Mar 18, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    How many treats do you feed them daily? Treats should be a very small percentage of their daily diet.

What protein percentage is the scratch? As long as it's a good percentage, I would start mixing it with the chick starter so they are more likely to eat it.

6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I'd get a Grower finisher feed. I use scratch in the winter for my Ducks and mix a bit with the regular feed. Every few days snacks are okay.

Princessred likes this.
  7. Princessred

Apr 10, 2019
    Florida
    Ok, so do you mean I shouldn’t give them lettuce, zucchini, mealworms, etc. everyday? They really don’t eat the duck food, maybe just a nibble here and there. There is nothing to forage in the enclosure...

Harley Chick likes this.
  8. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    First off, scratch is like candy. It's a treat and should be treated as such. The other snacks you mentioned sound much better, however sounds like they are eating so many snacks that it is ruining their appetite for the main course.

The main course should be a grower, finisher, or even continue with the starter. Ideally it should be 18% protein or less.

Texas Kiki and Princessred like this.
  9. Princessred

Apr 10, 2019
    Florida
    I found flock raiser crumbles, and they seem to like it okay. I will back off a little on the fresh veggies. Hopefully they will eat more of the feed.....

10. Princessred

Apr 10, 2019
    Florida
    How much of the flock raiser should each duck be eating a day?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: