Am I feeding my girls correctly?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hefalumpmom, Nov 19, 2012.

1. hefalumpmom

hefalumpmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2012
    Missouri
    I am currently feeding my flock a commercial 18% protein layer crumble. I also give them cracked corn mixed in nightly and black oil sunflower seeds a couple of times per week. They get some table scraps, and I try to be careful that there is nothing in there that they aren't supposed to eat. They free range all day long having access to the entire property. Am I giving them what they need? I don't put out grit since they seem to completely ignore it and just spill it, but they have plenty of access to gravel.

And what about adding food grade diatemaceous earth? Does it really help with internal parasite control, or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks for any advice!

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    If they have access to the grit they need (and it seems they do) the only thing you might want to make available to them is some calcium...either ground oyster shell or egg shells. You don't need to mix it with anything; just make a small container available and they'll take what they need. Sounds to me like you're doing just great, I'll bet they're fat and sassy and happy chooks :p

Welcome to BYC, too! Glad to have you aboard.

1 person likes this.
  3. truebuilt76

truebuilt76 New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    Cedar City, Utah
  4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

Quote form http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/5/5-2/herbs_for_spring_eggs_and_breeding.html The only way Charcoal will help move worms or worm ova out of chicken's body is if you are using a wormer. Charcoal is good for a number of things but a wormer it is not.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

Quote: Nope, Diatemaceous Earth wont control or kill worms in your poultry or any other animal, you need to get a good wormer for that.
    Get a packet of Prohibit Sol Drench Powder (Levamisole) it will take care of the 4 toughest worms: lungworms, threadworms, roundworms and nodular worms.

Chris

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by