1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I feeding my pullets and poults correctly??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by R.M. Hens, Jun 13, 2011.

1. R.M. Hens

R.M. Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    I have 10 9 week old RIR pullets that are on starter/grower and treats including scratch. This past weekend we added 5 2 month old Royal Palm turkeys to the flock. The feed store said my pullets and turkeys can eat the same thing which is turkey chow 24%. Is this ok for my pullets?

I will be moving my pullets to the big hen yard in another week, what should I feed when I move them? My big hens are on layer pellets, scratch, and oyster shell.

Should I be giving my pullets some oyster shell too?

2. cindylo

cindylo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Here's a bump. I'm a real novice and have no experience with turkeys, but I'm sure the folks here will give you some good advice.

3. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Your pullets don't need oyster shell until they start laying eggs. It is actually hard on their system and can cause problems. The turkey grower (24%)is higher in protein than normal chick grower(20%) but won't hurt them. You might be paying a higher cost. If you are planning on breeding your turkeys and not eating them for the Holidays, you can lower their protein to (20%) and they will do just fine. Do a cost comparison with the local feed that you have available. Purina Flock Raiser has 20% and can be fed to almost all growing fowl, including waterfowl. You just have to check prices and also if you can free-range a bit, then they will up their protein just by eating bugs and such. Go easy on the scratch, especially in the heat. I save that for the winter cold and feed wheat as a treat during the summer, but just a handful or two.

4. R.M. Hens

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    Quote:Thanks for the bump!

5. R.M. Hens

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    Quote:Sounds good. I have not seen Flock Raiser at my feed store but I will check around some more. What you said about scratch makes alot of sense. I have been giving less and less of the scratch because of the heat. I have been giving them frozen fruits and light stuff for treats. Thanks for the reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by