Am I feeding the right stuff?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jenny1, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Jenny1

Jenny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    I went to Ace Hardware to buy some chicken stuff. It is the closest thing to a feed store around here. (It has baby chicks, feeders, food, etc) I was going to get the bag of layer pellets, and I asked the guy a little about whether I actually needed oyster shell and stuff. He pointed at a different bag and said he has chickens and prefers this feed to the other kind because it is a little different(OOPS_ EDIT_I meant Cheaper)
    . I didnt really question him. (He also told me all about a reusable sticky fly trap)

I have been feeding my girls this feed for a couple weeks. But, I was curious after reading about protein content in feed, so I looked at the bag. There is NOTHING on it. All it says is "UNIVERSAL FEEDS 50 lbs" That is it. Is this the right stuff? turns out the "reusable fly thing isnt reusable either)

Is this guy just a total idiot and I am an idiot for believing him?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I'd prefer actually knowing what I was feeding.

Chick starter can be fed to chicks and growing birds all the way to egg laying. Unless your birds are actually laying, I'd hold off on the layer pellets, as that feed is intended for laying birds only. It is laced with high amounts of calcium that only a laying hen can expel by making egg shells. Younger birds should never be fed Layer feed.

Why don't you just call the store, ask for the manager and ask about this mystery, "universal feed"? That's what I would do. Who made it? If you know the maker, they should have that information to give you via phone call or on their website.

3. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    My birds SHOULD be laying. I have 3. One is laying. The guy I bought them from said they were 20 weeks old, that was Labor Day. So, now they are 24 weeks old. Am I supposed to get chick starter for them instead?

4. Fred's Hens

There is a feed company called Universal Feeds. http://www.ohkruse.com/

However, still don't know which particular kind of feed it is, nor it's protein content.

5. Fred's Hens

At that age, Layer is perfect.

6. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    Well, I guess all the info was on a tag in the seam. I guess I threw it away when I opened it. I also guess I have the right stuff. Chances are it isnt cow food or something like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by