1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I Going to be a Mommy?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wsdareme, Feb 7, 2011.

1. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I just candled my 7 BCM eggs. Tonight is the completion of day 5. All 7 eggs had a dark mass on one side. The eggs are so dark that there is no possible way to see detail.

Does it sound to you like my eggs are progressing and I'm going to be a mommy? [​IMG]

I know I still have a long ways to go, but all 7 eggs had dark blobs...

2. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    I can't really tell you one way or the other... it sounds as if the light you are using to candle isn't as bright as it should be for your eggs. I have EEs that lay very dense(as in richness of color, not thickness of shell) green eggs, the light I use for the light brown eggs doesn't work on them but my super bright LED flashlight allows me to see the veining and development as if I were candling the light browns. [​IMG]

3. wsdareme

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I have a Cool-Lite and a really bright LED flashlight I rigged up, but Black Copper Marans eggs are very, very dark brown. I can see all of my other eggs, including my dark green EE and my other Marans eggs, really well. The BCM eggs are tough to candle. I'm hoping that the mass means something good is happening in there...

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If the egg glows red, it's a dud. If it is entirely black but for a red glow at the tip, it's fertile. [​IMG]

5. wsdareme

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:Would it be all black at only 5 days, though? I only have a black blob about 3/4" or so. I was hoping it was the beginning of the veins... There's definitely SOMETHING going on in there, and it's happening in all 7 eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by