1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I going to be a new mother???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mudderhen, Aug 5, 2008.

1. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Okay....
    I'm new to the whole hatching thing...... I admit, I need help, advice, something....

I had a friend give me four serama eggs. I placed them in the bator in a turner. I have kept the temp. at about 100-102 degrees depending on which thermometer out of three that you watch. The temp. has been constant though. The humidity has been around 50 % the entire time. I have candled twice and saw veining the first time, and only the air sac the second time. Thursday is day 21, and Sunday I took them out of the turner and placed them on their side on the screen in the bator, then I went to work for two days.

This evening, when I got home, one of the eggs has a yellow ring that you can see from the outside, where the edge of the air sac should be, and the rest of it is dark. The next two, are just sitting there, and the last one, has a small piece of shell missing on the side. It hasn't been like that before, and the internal membrane is still intact. Does it mean that it is pipping? Is it okay?
    This is a first for me, so any help is greatly appreciated.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    The one with the hole sounds like a pip to me! They'll make that first hole, and then wait and wait....and wait...... and then ZIP! they're out!

Patience and sit on your hands and hopefully you'll have a couple chicks by day 21!

3. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    yay a pip!!!! keep us posted!

4. mudderhen

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate everything. I will keep everyone posted. I have felt inept at best with this because this is my first time, and I didn't really know what I was doing. If these little guys come out okay, I have all of you to thank, because that is where all my information has come from.... Ya'll and Lori, who is as addicted to the little fuzzy butts as I am. [​IMG]

5. mudderhen

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Okay.....
    After finding the flashlight and looking closer, I definitely think it may be a pip. upon closer inspection, I think the internal membrane is broken, and there is a little bit more cracked shell on the sides around the hole.

Does it take up to two days after that for them to completely break clear of the shell, or does it usually happen earlier?

Should I watch it closely for the rest of the evening, or will it probably take a while to hatch?

Sorry about all the questions... I'm so excited, I probably won't be able to sleep tonight. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Sometimes they pip and zip all within a few hours. Typically, in my experience, they pip between 12 and 24 hours before hatching.

7. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    sounds like u have hatching action give it time and ull know

8. mudderhen

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    OMG!!!
    It really is a pip! I looked at it early this morning, and the hole is a little bigger. Then I heard this weak peep.
    When I looked at the other eggs, another one had pipped!!! Now I hear very loud peeping, but I don't know which one it is. Also when I shine the flashlight into the first hole, (it is the only one big enough to see into) I can see it moving around in there!! This has got to be the ultimate high... All the excitement!!! How can you stand it??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It's called "chicken crack"....highly addicting!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    It's called "chicken crack"....highly addicting!!! gig gig

ok, it's all making sense now!!!![​IMG]
    so when my kids see there mom bent over the incubator for like the 100th hour I can just tell them it's the crack that's doing it to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by