Am I going to be okay with 8 baby chicks or will I want more?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by obsessedwchicks, Feb 13, 2013.

1. obsessedwchicks

obsessedwchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2013
    I'm having mixed feelings on if I should just slow my roll, and be okay with the 8 baby chicks I already ordered and will get Saturday or if I should want more? I think I'm just ready to get some, and see. What do y'all suggest?

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    what purpose do you want the chicks for? If I were you, I would get more, but that's just me.

3. obsessedwchicks

Feb 12, 2013
    Well I really just want my very own chickens. My dad has let me say the chickens he has bought be mine, but I just want my own.

4. bilder

bilder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    8 chickens will be enough, but you will always want more and will most likely end up with more than you ever imagined.

When I was growing up, we started with a dozen birds. At one point we had over 100 chickens, a dozen geese, 20 or so ducks, guineas, 6 pheasant, 4 turkeys and even had a few peafowl at one point.

Yea, we only 'needed' a dozen or so. I think that is what they call chicken math.

5. obsessedwchicks

Feb 12, 2013
    I'm thinking that 8 will be enough for a while and then I'll just get some more for my birthday.

6. Mayberry Chicken Shack

Mayberry Chicken Shack Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2010
    Mt. Airy, N.C.
    8 is a good number to start with, that's what I started with 2 years ago, but you will always want more.

7. obsessedwchicks

Feb 12, 2013
    I already want more haha

8. chickenmanII

chickenmanII Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Florida
    It is chicken math, its a proven menace,lol. we started out wanting 5 or 6 a year ago, now we have 50. Chickens are very addictive, start with a few so you can figure out what breeds you like the best.

9. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    We started with a plan to get six and bought four last week, two ducks today and have 26 coming Tuesday. Good luck sticking to 8! [​IMG]

10. obsessedwchicks

Feb 12, 2013
    I'm getting my 8 Saturday, and then my dad is gonna get 13 of 3 breeds each, and giving me 3. I'm really excited! They will be MINE MINE MINEā€¦. hahaha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by