1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am i going to need chick grit?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG] Just thought of this, since these ducklings cannot get outside... i gather i need some chick grit, in the past i have never needed a thing, they went outside with mama, well i am snowing and really cold..

I gave mama some peas yesterday which they ignored but i am going to need to increase her options as she can no longer forage, so up comes that grit issue.

I am thinking correctly here, right? been a long week lol

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    If the chicks are only eating mash or crumbles, they will not need grit right now because they can digest those without it. If you are giving them other treats, then it would be best to give them some grit.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    They'll need something if momma is going to be getting anything extra. My ducklings always eventually get into whatever mom has. I'd say better safe than sorry.

4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    There ducklings, there in with their mama but poor girl is a free ranged duck but it's still very much winter so neither she nor her babes can leave, so i will be supplementing her diet. In the past i have had warm weather hatches so everyone is outside and has natural access to digestive aid.

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Just what i thought, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by