Am I having Rooster problems?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mojookie, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Mojookie

Mojookie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Good morning, I am new to the scene on having chickens. I have 11 chickens. 3 roosters and 8 hens. I got them approx 2 months ago. When I picked them up they were around 6 months old and the head rooster was 7 months old. I thought I had 10 hens, but 2 of the RIR's turned out to be roosters. Jeff the head rooster is an Americana I think. He seems to be a great rooster, protecting the flock and all. Abby one of the RIR roosters has come into his own and Jeff allows him to mate with some of the hens. There is this Buff Orffington (Peach) that he prefers to mate with and he mates with her multiple times. She seems paralyzed after he mates with her. When Jeff mates with her she just lets him and this paralysis doesn't happen. Only with Abby does it happen. I try to stay out of the chicken politics because they obviously have a lot of that going on, but sometimes have to interfere because he will trap her. She isn't the only one he tortures just the only one that is paralyzed. Any answers to what is going on?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    You might want to post this in the Chicken Behaviors section of the Forum - and welcome again.

3. Mojookie

Mar 2, 2013
    Ok thanks for the help :) Now I'm getting the hang of it.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I think you need to take him or her out of the breeding pool for awhile. Hens can sustain significant damage or death from a rooster that continually overbreeds them. The usual rationale is 10 hens per rooster (in terms of fertility) and this poor girl needs to be rescued. If you don't need fertile eggs to sell or hatch, maybe you could rehome him. There are just too many worthwhile roosters looking for homes - to keep this him. I hope she will be alright.

5. Mojookie

Mar 2, 2013
    Her neck isn't bare, he hasn't drawn any blood on her and other than sitting still (I should have said previously, not said paralyzed) appears to be doing ok. I keep a pretty close eye on them. I've read on here that It's ok to have this rooster/ hen ratio as long as the rooster isn't being abusive. I just wasn't sure what abusive is considered in the Chicken world. My daughter who lives next door, has a German Sheperd that gets after Abby the Rooster if he bothers her too much when they are in the yard. When they are in the coop Jeff the Rooster protects her. I should have explained it better in my first post. Paralyzed and Torture were incorrect words to explain what is happening. I think I would rather get more hens than get rid of one of the Roosters. Hmmmm 3 or 4 more?

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I agree with 1muttsfan. Good luck to you.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mojookie

Mar 2, 2013
    I did Liz, thanks.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I've already given you my opinion, so I'll just say that I'm glad you have joined us and welcome to the site!

10. Mojookie

Mar 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by