Am I hunting a weasel? Graphic photo warning

andreanar

Crowing
5 Years
May 16, 2014
Finger Lakes, NY
My sister fell asleep last night and didn't close the dang pop door! Early this morning went out to feathers everywhere in the coop and run, even up on the roost board. The fight took place everywhere!

Our 2 biggest chickens, and of course favorites, dead. 1 was carried off, I followed the feather trail to the woods.
The other was dead in a corner of the run, with its whole back end chewed out. No blood anywhere else.

Another lost all her butt feathers, it's naked but not red or bloody.

Didn't see any tracks, besides chicken, in the mud around the run. No damage to the run fence.

I'm setting up a trap tonight, baited with fish, chicken and canned cat food. Im thinking some sort of weasel? I thought coons went for the heads?
I'm located in upstate NY.
What do you think? Any tips in catching this nasty creature?

Her back end
20180524_101120.jpg
20180524_101059.jpg
20180524_101048.jpg

That's a possum,they eat the butt first. I'm so sorry, that's just awful. Bait your trap with the stankest catfood you can find.
I used canned cat food, stinky sardines and a piece of shrimp in the trap. I also found some possum prints, altho they look like baby possum. Hmmm, well, keep your fingers crossed that I catch it.

I didn't think Possum would chase chickens like that. I thought they were too lazy.

It could have been any predator; raccoon, possum, weasel, whatever. Live trapping is a good idea, as long as you will then shoot any critters you catch (except friendly cats!). Then make sure your birds are locked in their safe coop every night.
For now, I'd keep them in their safe coop (and run?) until this is resolved. Your predators will return.
Electric fencing is a good way to add protection too.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom