Am I in for a lifelong addiction to chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Queen Chika, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Queen Chika

Queen Chika Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Kiowa, CO
    This will be my first full year having owned chickens, so it's my second season of seeing chicks at the feed stores. I thought after getting my first flock, that I would be happy with the ones I had, but now I feel an addiction coming on. I know every time I walk into that feed store and see baby chicks I will be bringing more and more home. Will it ever be enough? I just love them! It's a little scary!

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Oh, there is no going back now .....

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes, once you start, there is no going back. I wanted to have just a few layers to get eggs for our family. I now have 5 laying, 6 more layers along with 9 meaties in the brooder. I also have branched into goats... that seems to follow chickens for a lot of people [​IMG] .

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yes. just submit. buy a ton of them asap and build about 40 coops. it is just easier if you do it that way. might as well just give in. [​IMG]

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yeah, I have also learned to build a coop at least 5x bigger than you think you need. We just finished a new coop and run recently and I already want to add on.

6. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You have NO idea how addicting they are! Everytime we see a new breed we're interested in, we have to have it. DH will be losing yet another part of the garage this spring to add more coop space.

7. Queen Chika

Queen Chika Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Kiowa, CO
    I did do the goat thing, until they ate all of my plants and liked to jump on top of my car and ruin my paint, so my hubby sent them packin'. I did build a huge coop, but it's already feeling small. I want to build townhouses for each breed, a whole chicken community! I am crazy!

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    we love the community idea. we have that going on now and are expanding with 8 more coops plus 5 chicken tractors.
    we are crazy, but we like it like that. [​IMG]

9. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    You are now officially on the dark side. Mwahhhhhh(evil laugh)[​IMG]

10. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I have a couple hens getting broody; there is nothing better than a Buff Orpington hen with little Buff chicks running after her! [​IMG] NOPE! NOTHING!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by