Am I just a crow? Looking for help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Firebomb_k, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Firebomb_k

Firebomb_k Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2010
    Spencer, WI
    I have the two chickens that I got from TSC a few months ago and I have been wondering what breed they are......

I have looked for answers but I can't find any.

Please help.

This is the first one....She is All Black including her legs and her comb. On her back her feathers have a purple green hue to them.....like color changing paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the second unknown. A little different, white on the front and red wattles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the help in advance.

2. Jess-W

Jess-W Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Slaughterville
    I'd say the first would be a Black Australorp. No idea on the second one. I am very new to this.

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    #1 is an Australorp. They're great birds, super friendly and they lay eggs like crazy.

4. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    1st one is a black australop, but the second one Im not sure.

5. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree about the Australorp. The second one is confusing. If it had red instead of tan, I'd say black sex link. She's cute!

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

#1 Australorp
    #2 ?? EE perhaps? Can't really tell about the legs, are they dark green? If so, EE

7. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Don't know the breed of the second one, but it has partridge feathers, hope that points you in some kind of good direction. I have never seen australops in TSC but that doesn't mean anything. If it IS an australop it will have 5 toes and not four. That much I do know. Good luck on figuring it out.

8. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    can you hear me now? :

Don't know the breed of the second one, but it has partridge feathers, hope that points you in some kind of good direction. I have never seen australops in TSC but that doesn't mean anything. If it IS an australop it will have 5 toes and not four. That much I do know. Good luck on figuring it out.

Australorps do NOT have 5 toes. I have several of them, all with 4 toes.​

9. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

can you hear me now? :

Think you might be messing up silkies and the australorps. Silkies will have extra toes while the australorp have 4​

10. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    There are very few breeds that have 5 toes: Dorking, Faverolle, Houden, Sultan, and Non-bearded Silkie Bantams.

I say the first is a Jersey Giant, just from the legs, I looked at pics and they seemed to have yellow legs that turned darker later. Black Australorps Should have black legs from the beginning, but it could be just bad genes/breeding.
    The second one, I agree with crtrlovr, it has patterning like an EE. But, no pea comb and the legs look black...idk what it could be, a cross, or something else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by