Am I just a weird RI Red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Udda, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Udda

Udda New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    I received nine chicks about a month ago that included 3 RI Reds, 3 Buff Orphingtons and 3 Barred Rocks. Now that the chicks are starting to blossom it seems that one of the Reds is not what she seems. Her feathers seem to be much more gray and light brown (as opposed to the typical rich red brown) and she has no yellow on her face. She is also much bigger and more "fluffy" than the other two Reds.

Any ideas what kind of breed she may be? Or is she just a funky Red?

I've added a last pic of one of my Reds for reference.

Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    EE is my guess.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    She's very pretty...hope you post pictures as she grows [​IMG] But I would have to guess EE also. Where did you get them?

4. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    i dont know if it is just the picture but it sort of looks like it could be a blue laced red something, cant tell the comb to see if it is a wyandotte or not but i think it is something crossed with a BLRW

5. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    You can DEFINATELY tell in the 1st and 4th pic, that you have either an Auracauna/Americana. She's quite pretty, if you ask me! Could have been a mix up,or a cross breed.

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    i dont know if it is just the picture but it sort of looks like it could be a blue laced red something, cant tell the comb to see if it is a wyandotte or not but i think it is something crossed with a BLRW

I was thinking the same thing...I have BLRW chicks and she looks a lot like them but with a single comb.​

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Looks like in one of the pics that she has greenish legs? Or is that just the picture?

8. Udda

Udda New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I got her from a local grain shop in southern MA. The lady who picked them out was trying to grab "different" looking Reds and apparently grabbed another breed by accident. She does have grayish green legs as opposed to the Reds yellow.

9. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    yes she is an Easter egger hopefully lay blue or green eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by