Am I just bein a worry wart?

BiddyBiddy

Songster
May 12, 2018
North Carolina
Alright guys, I need your chicken wisdom. I’ve got 15 chickens of various breeds (cochins, silkies, black jersey giants, a Light Brahma, a buff Orpington, a salmon farverole, and a couple of Ameraucanas. I converted part of a 12x12 shed into their coop. There’s 2 windows and 2 smallish vents near the roof line. I just cut a another 20”x14” vent with a small box fan blowing in. Theres also an oscillating fan inside and a tiny AC window unit. It was in the mid 90s today. Its 78 degrees with 82% humidity right now. I just checked on them and at least 5 of them are wings out panting! (3 cochins, a Jersey giant, and the Brahma) The temp inside is 71 degrees in there! What gives?!? I even removed the granulated sweet PDZ thinking the panting was due to dust. They’ve got tons of room (I could probably add another 20 chickens and they’d still have plenty of room) the storage part of the shed just has garden tools, nothing that gives off fumes, no lawn mower, or gas, or anything like that. What’s going on? Am I concerned for no reason?
A00BE348-43FD-4312-B393-6D7FD876F321.jpeg
1736E088-F1C3-487C-A758-36A6741982C3.jpeg
1843F7B8-0E04-48E7-99F5-738A5E92CDC9.jpeg
A00BE348-43FD-4312-B393-6D7FD876F321.jpeg
1843F7B8-0E04-48E7-99F5-738A5E92CDC9.jpeg
1736E088-F1C3-487C-A758-36A6741982C3.jpeg

Your temperature is way low, so should not be cause any problems. My friends in Arizona don't have concerns until temps reach 100*. Sweet PDZ is a rock mineral and should have no negative affects on panting.
Was this panting present at other times at similar temps??? Only thing I can think of is a respiratory infection possibly. Not an authority on those, but know it is common in chickens. It is not always deadly, so not here to frighten you.
When temps get even lower like at night or morning, are your chickens also panting, or is it less???
If they are OK when cooler, then consider those chickens as NOT HEAT TOLERANT.
The 71* temp has me puzzled.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Your temperature is way low, so should not be cause any problems. My friends in Arizona don't have concerns until temps reach 100*. Sweet PDZ is a rock mineral and should have no negative affects on panting.
Was this panting present at other times at similar temps??? Only thing I can think of is a respiratory infection possibly. Not an authority on those, but know it is common in chickens. It is not always deadly, so not here to frighten you.
When temps get even lower like at night or morning, are your chickens also panting, or is it less???
If they are OK when cooler, then consider those chickens as NOT HEAT TOLERANT.
The 71* temp has me puzzled.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome
No one is panting first thing in th morning. Does it take a few hours for them to cool down from the heat of the day? It’s almost always the heaviest breeds, always the one heavily feathered Cochin. I would think a respiratory thing too except it’s been going on since the temps got in the 80’s so for a few months now. :idunno

Temp maybe "just" 78 but the humidity @ 82% makes it very uncomfortable....I know cause I live in HI and humidity makes the temp feel higher than what it is. The AC should help if you're running it, will remove the humidity but you need to close off the windows/doors. Fan is good for circulating the air but doesn't do anything for the temp nor humidity.

Sounds like they are just overheating because the are overdressed. (you know, feathered and heavy weight) It is good that they are not suffering from respiratory issues. :thumbsup
Some of my chickens do pant and spread their wings, but it only happens when it is well over 90+ degrees. It does not get that hot here many days. I don't do anything other than do have plenty of fresh water available and in multiple containers. Adding electrolytes is supposed to be good for chickens when it is hot. I read about that on the Arizona thread all the time. I have never done it here in Chitown.

Gauging heat stress can be nerve racking, especially the first year or two.
The humidity affects the birds as much as it does me...it feels hotter and I feel worse.

Panting and wing holding are normal heat reducing activities for the birds.
Lack of mobility is when to start to worry.
I test this by tossing out some treats to observe their mobility.

I use large(9x14x2") ice chunks to help cool them off and they last all day.
I also give a dose of Sav-A-Chick electrolytes once a week during heat waves,
always have plain water available too.

upload_2018-8-16_11-6-10.png

I can’t see a window on any pictures? Which sides are they on? West ? East? Is there any air movement in there at all.

You should add another waterer, one where they can get big gulps of fresh water , and that feeder is for chicks , get them a feeder that you can hang and raise up

Go out there tie a ribbon on the ceiling and see if it moves at all ..’

Wings up and panting aren’t good , they need water ASAP . Just like the sled pool you see above , they love standing in it and drinking it

I have kitty litter boxes with water in them in each run on hot days .

You can add ice to your waterer too, freeze fruit

Temp maybe "just" 78 but the humidity @ 82% makes it very uncomfortable....I know cause I live in HI and humidity makes the temp feel higher than what it is. The AC should help if you're running it, will remove the humidity but you need to close off the windows/doors. Fan is good for circulating the air but doesn't do anything for the temp nor humidity.
Do they have a run to go into? Shade in the run? Are they shut in the coop during the day? What are the exact measurements of the coop? L x W?

Be aware that your little AC unit and fan may become a fire hazard due to the dust and dander kicked up by your flock, no matter how clean you keep your coop.

They have a 50x50’ fenced run with a 6x10 area covered with a tarp. I have a box fan out threre in the shaded area. The rest of the run has aviary netting to protect from hawks and is at least 75% shaded by large trees. There’s 2 smaller waters and 2 feedrs inside. 2 large waterers and 2 more feeders outside. Those were older pictures of the coop. The windows are on the other wall. I just cut a new 20”x14” vent at the top of the ramp where the picture is hanging. They get treats frozen in blocks of ice, watermelon, and ice in their water regularly.
78 degrees and 82% humidity was at midnight last night. It’s in the high 90’s and 58% humidity right now.

I can’t see a window on any pictures? Which sides are they on? West ? East? Is there any air movement in there at all.

You should add another waterer, one where they can get big gulps of fresh water , and that feeder is for chicks , get them a feeder that you can hang and raise up

Go out there tie a ribbon on the ceiling and see if it moves at all ..’

Wings up and panting aren’t good , they need water ASAP . Just like the sled pool you see above , they love standing in it and drinking it

I have kitty litter boxes with water in them in each run on hot days .

You can add ice to your waterer too, freeze fruit
44015653-F445-4CC0-9C0E-86CC5BF9D28E.jpeg
DAFBBF0B-417C-432E-8150-991CAFF38127.jpeg
0FDD67E8-72B4-4950-8248-9544D46B1745.jpeg
26852E5E-FC6E-4D21-9D99-C1F77F4E8620.jpeg
The last pic is the cochin that never stops panting.

Attachments

• 4906A021-084B-4A10-AFD1-47EEA959AC3C.jpeg
    4906A021-084B-4A10-AFD1-47EEA959AC3C.jpeg
    623.4 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom