Am I keeping her alive for me or her

bpotze

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 17, 2014
I have posted before about a duck of mine that was having trouble walking....this was clear back in Feb. We have moved and she is the only duck that I have kept because she cannot walk....She has been to two vets and neither one can be certain what is wrong...so she has been treated with antibiotics...wormed....given supplements...nothing has made a difference....Everyone has told me I need to put her down....and I go back and forth....I keep her in a safe spot outside when the weather is nice and when it's not I keep her in a childs sandbox with puppy piddle pads under her...with her food and water where she can reach them....she is afraid of most everything....and I feel so bad for her....she's not a very friendly duck, but I know what she likes and doesn't....she has started to do a weird thing with her body....she uses her wings and her bill to move around and can move up to 8 feet if I leave her outside in a spot she doesn't like....but now she will push herself back until she looks like she is sitting on her tail....I'm afraid she will fall over backwards when I am not around...I don't want to selfishly keep her alive....when is it time to put an animal down???? Her name is Petunia and she is a Pekin....

I'm sorry to hear Petunia isn't doing so well. It sounds like you have tried hard to help her.

Have tried giving her extra Niacin? Niacin deficiency can cause leg issues with ducks. Do her legs feel hot to the touch at all? How old is Petunia, is she laying?

Last edited:
Oh gosh, I am so sorry. This is heart wrenching. Does she eat and drink fine on her own? Was there some sort of accident? I didn't see your original post and don't know what happened. I don't know what it could be. Hopefully some one will come along with some advice.

She will be 3...and she stopped laying probably in March....she has been given niacin....one vet thought she may have had a stroke...another parasites that got into her brain....

She didn't get hurt....at that time my chickens and ducks were in a yard that was about 1/4 acre...totally fenced in...with no way of her to get hurt.....she started out just limping....and it continually got worse...one of the vets thinks it is something neurological....I get a different ideas from different vets...when I can find one that will see a duck....My husband has no idea that I spent over $200 taking her to vets....but at least I was able to find out that she is not in pain...

I'm sorry about Petunia.
hugs.gif

It sounds like you have given her every chance to improve but it unfortunately didn't work. I think at this point all you can do is examine her quality of life. Does she seem happy? Does it seem like she wants to live? If it seems like she is happy and hasn't given up on life but just needs help getting around you may consider making her a walker like the one here http://tingilinde.typepad.com/starstuff/2009/10/using-a-duck-to-teach-kids-about-disabilities-.html

If she swims well you may consider building her a pool. One with a large ledge that will allow her to lay in the water but not drown when she gets tired.

If it seems like she has given up (not eating, drinking, or preening) it may be time to let her go. There is nothing wrong with keeping a disabled animal alive if you can provide a good quality of life. But if her quality of life is poor it is more humane to end it.

I wish you luck.

That will have to be up to you.........I personally can not tell you to put down the Duck.....Easy for me to say that you should, although I do not know the Duck........

You will know if her quality of life is gone and if you need to end her suffering......

Best of luck.....

Cheers!

I agree with others that:
A: you have gone above and beyond what most would or could have.
B: you have documented, and weighed the circumstances.
C: the duck is living despite whatever is/has happened to her.
D: your investment in time and money is certainly from your heart, not from your "Farmer sense".

I have tried a dozen times to try and save a faltering bird. To be blunt and honest.... it never worked out for them, certainly not for me. Can you personally put your baby out of misery or do you need someone's help.
maybe your husband can do the deed.. it appears to me (very far away and very sympathetic ) that you might know her life may be far from good. Certainly not what nature would have given her. And not making her life better by quantity over quality.
tough choice. But if you want an opinion, a real unbiased honest opinion, then i would cull her. But not after giving her every treat imaginable.
We all feel your pain, and honestly will not be able to do much else but offer opinions. Good luck, and REMEMBER how well you treated her.

This is a tough one. On one hand you hate to see her suffer and or not have the quality of life that other ducks enjoy. On the other you hate to make the decision to end her life if she isn't in pain. I don't know how putting to sleep a duck is at avets office

Not sure how I got cut off but.....If when it comes time I don't know how it goes. Farmer way or duck vet way. I don't know if duck vet way is better or worse for the duck. Circulatory systems and all. I feel so bad for you and for Petunia since you don't know what is going on. If only a vet could tell you definitively. Are the 2 vets you have seen avian vets or regular dog and cat vets? It seems as though avian vets may know the diff between parasitic infection to the brain/ sprain/brake to the leg. And if it is neurologic and not causing pain to her then.......man that is difficult and if not.... I would hate to think that there might be some sort of easy fix to those in the know. I don't know. I'm so sorry but, it's time to let my little gals and guys in. I will follow your thread. Any way it goes know you are a good duck momma. You have gone on and beyond what a lot would do. Best of luck to you and to sweet Petunia.

Back
Top Bottom