Am I learning things right?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cavendish Chickens, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    If I am gathering information right, I will know when my leghorns are ready to lay by watching their combs? Mable's is bigger than Gloria's and bright red like the Precious Boy's (our roo). It's not really big, a lot smaller than a roosters, but bright red. Not flipped over. And she is smaller than Gloria. Now Gloria's comb is small like a mini mohawk spike, and pink. Precious Boy has seemed to taken more of a liking to Mable, though she is the smaller of the two hens. (He still chases off Gloria about 80-85% of the time. Mable about 10% of the time now.) I have had a feeling since day one she may be our first egg layer. Would I be wrong in this assumption? As I have said before, they hatched around June 12th.

Gloria is the white leghorn, and Mable is the light brown leghorn.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    They both look pink still (could be just the shadow in the picture). I think you have a least a couple weeks wait.

Your theory is sound, however. You are watching for large red combs to show up on those girls.

3. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Yeah, you're right. This picture isn't that good. I will get better pics of the girls (and even the roo for fun) tomorrow and repost.

4. Layira

Layira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    You're on the right track, but try not to get too anxious. My leghorn girls didn't start laying until past 20 weeks. They were hatched around March 29 and just started laying a few weeks ago, and some still aren't laying yet. If yours were hatched around June 12, then they would only be around 15 weeks...soooo I'd say you still have a little while to go.

You'll want to look for the larger redder combs, but sometimes the ones that have the biggest and reddest don't lay first. You can also look for the "squat", that's another indicator of being ready to lay. [​IMG] It's all individual, ya know? Good luck anyway! [​IMG]

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I can't see the comb on mable very well, mine went red and she laid eggs shortly afterward, size of the bird makes no difference, my birds are very small, but then they might be bantam, gl with your eggs.

6. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Well, I'm not saying they're ready to lay yet. I just wanted to be sure I was understanding things right... that when the comb turns red it's time? Here are new pictures of my chickens. The speckled sussex is the rooster, and the other two are my hens. Beautiful birds. Both of the girls still have pink combs. Mable's is bigger, yet she's the smallest.

Precious Boy (our roo)
    [​IMG]

Gloria
    [​IMG]

Mable
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Well....my BR had a red comb and face before any of the others, but she was not the first one to lay. Generally speaking that would be one indicator, but they have a way of throwing us off. [​IMG]

8. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Sounds like this is going to be a fun run. lol I will be posting when they decide it's time. I'm a little anxious, but not letting myself get too antsy. I know it's still going to be a little while.

9. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    u are a genius! [​IMG] lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by