Am I looking at two boys?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Titania, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Titania

Titania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    Hi, everyone! I'd love your experienced eye on trying to figure out if these are boys or girls. I have a small coop & backyard so would like to rehome the roos asap or as soon as I know they're roos! I have three chicks that I hatched from green eggs that are a cross from a Lavender Ameraucana daddy and Easter Egger mothers. So beautiful! One, actually, isn't as pretty and is almost rumpless (just a few odd feathers sticking out), no comb, small, and gentle. I am inclined to think that's a girl and I'm calling her Betty La Mas Fea (Ugly Betty).

But, these two, I'm just not sure. There's been no fighting amongst them so their behavior isn't telling me much. They're almost 10 weeks old.
    Here is the first and I guess I've sort of resigned myself that this is a roo. Am I wrong?:
    [​IMG]

Here is my Lavender. Hoping it's a girl:
    [​IMG]

Anybody who has had lots of ameraucanas/easter eggers that can give me a good guess?

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    His coloration suggests that your guess is right, but I am a bit thrown by the lack of comb development. It looks like a late bloomer either way.

Your second lovely blue girl is definitely a pullet.

They're gorgeous EEs!

3. HathawayHens

HathawayHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    I think they are both pullets, but a better view of the saddle and tail feathers on the first bird would help. [​IMG] The second one def looks pullet based on feathers and lack of comb development.

4. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Both pullets

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    How old are they? Based on what I see in the pics and not knowing their age, I'm leaning towards both pullets.

6. fluffychickens

fluffychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:x2

7. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Both pullets.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

x3

9. Titania

Titania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    really, both pullets?!! How exciting for me! Thank you, I think they're beautiful too! About their combs, it seems all 3 of the chicks I kept have pea combs, probably like their dad?. I'm so excited they're all beautiful girls!

10. Mamaperreca

Mamaperreca Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    Missouri
    Easter eggers can be really slow to getting a comb even boys, but I agree that i think they are both girls. The first one has a bit longer tail but the feathers in the saddle area still look round to me and not pointy and long like a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by