Am I missing anything for my coop plans?

Pics

Lollipopchiki3

Chirping
Jan 14, 2018
Homerville Georgia
I will be getting my first chicks (bantam Easter eggers hens ,molted cochin hens, and an assortment of silkies) in April ♡!
Luckily we have 2 acres of field land (used to be a corn field I believe) and have picked out a spot for me and hubby to build a nice big coop and run.
There this car port/corn shed structure we are cleaning out. The roofs are good on both sides but the middle will have to be replaced and the posts are large and cemented into the ground. In the end we will have a run that 8ft 8inches wide, 44ft 6inches long, and 6ft 8inches high. The coop will be 8ft 8inches wide, 6ft long, 3ft off the ground, and 3fthigh. I want to have about 5 - 6 nest boxes and one whole wall hinges for easy cleaning and access to any eggs. It will have a nicetin roof over the whole thing and hardware cloth fencing (we have dogs, cats, and snakes out here), a 6inch skirt and cinderblocks on top. Inside will have two vegetable boxes and a dust box. For 9-15 chickens. Gran wants it to be turquoise so we be prime, sealing and painting the coop turquoise with white accents. And I'm thinking of using sand for the ground of the run. I live in the deep south (Homerville georgia), is their any concerns I need to be aware of do to the heat? Am I missing anything?
I attached a rough sketch I have in mind...its not the best sorry I'm no artist.

Attachments

• IMG_20180116_213821_179.jpg
    IMG_20180116_213821_179.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 72
Make the whole side that opens to the run covered in wire, for a more open air coop. You'll need all that ventilation. And anything you plant in the run must be protected from the chickens. They will destroy or eat everything within reach.

Make the whole side that opens to the run covered in wire, for a more open air coop. You'll need all that ventilation. And anything you plant in the run must be protected from the chickens. They will destroy or eat everything within reach.
I was actually planning on the planting lettuce and other beneficial plants for the chickens to eat in the boxes...is that ok?

I would make that coop walk in.
Don't forget roosts and next boxes.
That skirt should be at least 12", especially with snakes.
Lots of ventilation.
to make it walk in I would have to not raise the coop and put cement down for the floor but that might be cooler...that's for the advice and ill adjust my skirt to be 12".

Please keep your thread going and show the progress. Looks like you are really trying to think of everything. I had some failures and some wins with my first coop and you will too. One thing to keep in mind is your purpose for having BYCs. If you want eggs I would get a roll away nest (keeps eggs cleaner and stops egg eaters). Some people use nipples waterers but since we live in the North I prefer the 30 gallon tin one you get at TSC and I switch to a heated hanging one in the winter. I had an issue with my first door design and had to change it due to not accounting for the dirt buildup in slot I use at night and the fact that the chickens liked to roost on it even in the day. Both of my coops are walk in and I prefer that because I want my chickens accustomed to my family gathering eggs and giving them treats. Like I said everyone is different. I have noticed some people designing the coop so you do not have to get in it at all and that is a no go for us. My chickens are for my whole family to interact with and even when we are on vacation my Dad and Mom enjoy gathering eggs and feeding treats. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom