1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I missing anything?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Danyander, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Danyander

Danyander Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2015
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

Food,water, perch, dirt bath, and heat lamp.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    YES ........................... YOU FORGOT TO INCLUDE LOVE

AND A DELAYED [​IMG] I can see you have been here 1 month.

3. Danyander

Danyander Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2015
    Oregon
    Thank you! They are still a little scared of me but I am sure that will change.

4. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    Yeah there will be some that will run to you every time and others that will think you are trying to kill them every time lol

1 person likes this.
  5. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Here is something interesting to pass along. It is what I have read and learned from this forum. And like I have stated before. Cavemanrich is not a plagiarist, and is not all knowing, but I learn things everyday!!!

The little chicks run scared whenever something approaches from above. It is a born instinct. Self defense from predators. I have read of people making their brooder accessible from the side, as well as above. They make a viewing window on the side , and when they open it and reach in, the chicks are less frightened. Of course, these fall in the category of SUPER BROODERS. lol.
    But in reality, these things can be made with things people may already have laying around. Getting a piece of plexiglass and attaching it on the side opening will not break the bank. I don't recommend glass if you have children, for the obvious. DISCLAIMER. WARNING Having this setup and viewing your baby chicks can have you fall behind on your housework. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  6. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA

Lol yea I built my brooder for our first ever set of chick, and I told mys wife that the next set of chicks I am building a whole new brooder. I've learned so much in these past 4 weeks and I could have made it a lot easier in myself if I had known all this BEFORE I built it lol

2 people like this.
  7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I don't see any thing in the chicks' water fountain to keep them from getting in over their tootsies then getting chilled.

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Glad Cave Man is perpetuating the "side-access brooder" concept. It's the difference between chicks who run scared from you and ones who run TO you.

Try hanging the water bottle. It's not hard. I take a small net bag, like the kind clementine oranges come in, and slip the plastic bottle inside, then wire it tightly around the neck so the bag won't slip off. Test by filling the bottle with water,screw on the base, then hold the bottle upright from the top. If it slips off, make the wire tighter. You can also use a shoe lace of you can get it knotted tightly. Make sure it's not dangling in the water base.

Slip an "s" hook or loop some wire through the netting at the top, and hang from a stick place horizontally across the brooder, or in a cardboard brooder, cut slots in the sides for the stick to slip through.

This keeps the water up out of the litter, and shavings stay out as well as chicks. During the first week or two, you'll need to start out low and raise it frequently as chicks grow so quickly. It should stay about the height of their backs.

9. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    if you're going to be occasionally throwing them some treats, grapes or fresh veggies, etc etc, they need a small container of chick sized grit.

other than that you're looking pretty well stocked. I personally prefer a nipple water system instead of the fountain, so much easier to keep them supplied with clean water

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by