Am i missing something???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickzrule, Jul 7, 2010.

1. chickzrule

chickzrule Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    B.C., Canada
    I have used Sevin 2 times now for lice 10 days apart. I have 12 ladies but only have found lice on 2. Each time i inspect all the birds before i dust them i am positive that its the same 2 each time that have the lice. Why would it always be the same 2 ? Why do they keep getting them when the other 10 are doing the exact same things, in the exact same are, are treated the exact same way when dusting, etc? Now that i have used the Sevin twice, 10 days apart, should i do all the ladies again in 10 days? I also dusted their coop floor, nesting boxes and mixed some Sevin with De in their bath area. Am i missing something??? thxs Lisa

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Why do mosquitoes and chiggers bite some people more than others?

3. chickzrule

Jun 21, 2010
    B.C., Canada
    Should i dust all the ladies again or just leave them for a bit? What would be best for them?

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Should i dust all the ladies again or just leave them for a bit?

I'd wait a week or two

Give it time to work​

5. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    You could have Sevin tolerant lice although that is not too likely (repeated use of the same pesticide over long periods can lead to this).

Do one more dusting 7 days after the last one and then switch to something like ProZap and do dustings with that if you are still seeing lice.

It is important to not use the same pesticide if there are signs of tolerance in your insect population.

Sometimes you miss a spot in the run, nest boxes, coop, dust bath areas, or other place frequented by your birds, follow the two you are having trouble with, they may lead you to a spot you didn't know about.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The next time you dust them use a different powder. As theFox suggested, the lice may be resistant to Sevin.

7. chickzrule

Jun 21, 2010
    B.C., Canada
    I have used the Sevin twice in total. I will wait 10 days and do all the ladies again. How should i spread the powder inside the coop? I mixed it into the wood shavings on the floor and put in the nesting boxes but that is all. Should i try to get it on the walls and perch? If so, is it ok for them to directly walk on the powder in the coop? The 2 that have them seem to be in the same places as the others, but???? thxs Lisa

8. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    You need to do the run as well and their dust baths, in short every place they visit.

It is also possible that you aren't getting the birds coated well under their wings and their hind ends.

Some birds will fight you and those ones sometimes don't get covered well.

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You can mix it with water and spray the walls and other surfaces.
    A strong Chlorine solution would also work for that, as well as killing germs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by