Am I on the right track?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PonderingChick, Jun 27, 2011.

1. PonderingChick

PonderingChick Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    Lacey, WA
    I am still in the planning mode. I have a wood playhouse I am converting. The inside dimensions are 42" x 69". It is currently made of 2x4 framing with T-111 siding.

Am I ok on the following:

Room to have 4 birds? What would be the maximum amount of birds for them to have a good comfort level?

Is 1 2x4 roost 42" long enough for 4 birds?

Input needed:

The playhouse is currently not insulated...it is bare studs on the inside and the siding on the exterior. I am in the Pacific Northwest...do I need to insulate and put interior sheet material up? I can if I need to, just won't if it is not necessary.

Is 1 nest box enough for 4 birds or should I have 2?

Thank you for any and all input. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Quote:Good luck.

3. PonderingChick

PonderingChick Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    Lacey, WA
    I should have included the fact that I will have a 4' x 10' fully enclosed predator proof run. It will be about 6' high. I am planning on putting the coop up on an 18" high platform off the ground. I had not gotten as far as food and water yet...though I suspect I will be putting them inside the coop.

My yard is small and fully enclosed and would probably work for free range time if I were outside but I am not sure if I am comfortable with that. There are a lot of eagles and hawks in the sky around here and I have definitely seen a raccoon a couple of times in my neighbors yard...so knowing me I will opt to keep them in their coop and run all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by