1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I Out Of My Mind? Driving from South Florida to Arkansas for a bird

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by karaokechick, Jan 6, 2011.

1. karaokechick

karaokechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    I am heading out first thing in the morning to a fellow BYC members place in Arkansas to pick up some chickens!! The breeder doesn't ship and he has some of the most beautiful Birds. I still can't believe my DH didn't give me a hard time about it! I'll have my 19 year old as a co-pilot, he recently moved back home from school so it should be nice catching up during the ride.

I just can't believe I'm doing this!!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If it were JUST to pick up birds, yeah you are nuts. But because you are visiting a fellow BYC'er, I say time well spent. Let us know how it goes and please share pics!!

3. gamamachik

gamamachik Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    South GA
    BE SAFE!!! Too far is never to far for a chicken... [​IMG]

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Hmmm...what type of birds are you picking up? I'm on your way you know...

Actually, a BYCer near Gainesville is suppose to ship me some eggs Saturday. Want to stop and get them on your way back and stop by my place to drop them off? [​IMG]

5. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    quality time with your son-pricelss:)

6. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Sounds like a good time to me....hope you are going to southern Arkansas.....snow is supposed to move in on Sunday!

Safe travel and enjoy your visit with your son!

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    hmmmm ya know there's a destination thread up for the Egg Train

just thought I'd throw that out there.

8. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I cannot recommend 5 Hour Energy enough. Minimal fluid for fewer pit stops. Smooth boost to alertness. NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR SLEEP. If you have enough energy, it will help you get it done.

My technique was to drive a while. Nap 30-45 minutes at a rest stop. Down a 5HE. Drive 4-6 more hours.

By the way, you are nuts. What kind of chickens? I may make a similarly nutty expedition.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  9. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

No, I don't think your crazy! BYC member Ranchhand drove from South Carolina to Delaware JUST to pick of 15 chicks from me [​IMG] It was so nice to meet this person that I had become good friends with over both the computer and the phone! I would love to go visit her someday!

10. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Quote:Lol Bec, you are implying that Ranchie ISN'T nuts and we both know that's not true! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by