Am i overdoing it ? some people think im nuts, pics added

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 6chicks&aduck, Jan 17, 2011.

1. 6chicks&aduck

6chicks&aduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    Since winter came ,
    every day i clean the droppings up out of the shavings on the coop floor,
    and every second or third
    day i go through the straw in the run and clean up that too, its all frozen this time of year , so its easy to pick up.
    just dont like them to have to walk around in it ,

I do the same in the summer, but have sand in the run and use a kitty litter scoop to clean it up .
    i need to remake a dropping board for under the roosts .
    it does'nt seem like a pleasant job,[​IMG] but my birds sure enjoy the time im spending w them and they have become so much tamer ,
    enjoying a pet or a scratch [​IMG], pulling at my boot laces and zippers on my coveralls lol. and most of all jumping on me !!![​IMG]
    for me its been a great way to get to know my birds personalities too !

Just wondering if anyone else does this type of maintenance ? here are some pics of inside & out after cleanup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    I'll admit I'm not planning on cleaning out my coop that often. I have children, and right now it's actually hard to get out to the backyard (no steps from the back). So, in theory I plan on cleaning it all out twice a week and dealing with any disasters when I see them.

3. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    I do clean mine out weekly - but I go out every night and give em all a scratch ... or a pet - I think it makes a difference.

4. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    No I don't think you can be too clean. I try to clean my girls 1x/day or at least every other day. Otherwise it just becomes a much larger job than it needs to be. My girls all love to come in & visit w/ me when I'm in the coop, I have to be careful not to step on any of them!!!! [​IMG] Sometimes I'll shoo them out the pop door, but they just come right back in a minute later. They love to peck at my jeans an shoelaces, I have one EE who just loves to peck my socks, right on the ankle bone.....ouch!! [​IMG]

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I would love to clean that often but I can't. I try to clean weekly. I think it's a great idea to be so clean. Can you post pics of your coops? You may give me some inspriation. [​IMG]

6. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

clean is always good! and time with the chickens is even better! i clean the coop and spend time with them every day but then my kids are all grown so the chickens are my babies now. [​IMG] hope you are saving the fertilizer for your garden...

7. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    I have two coops 4 x 8' each, 33" off the ground so I don't have to hurt my back to service them. I clean the poop out of the shavings both morning and night, replace shavings if needed, change water, fill food daily. Every 2 weeks I clean all shavings out and replace with fresh. I spritz vinyl floor and painted walls with oxine while shavings are out. As long as I keep up with it, only a few minutes twice a day are needed. Since I am a mega-tasker (that's a multi-tasker X 10) I pick up and hold a silkie on my left arm while cleaning with my right. Every few minutes, I switch hens. HA! So to answer your question, "am I overdoing it?" You're not even close! Your statement "some people think I'm nuts" is a pretty sure bet. HA!!! Welcome to the nuthouse!

8. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I do and they all come in for a visit when I am in there, it's sweet. They come over like "what did you find? Anything good?"

9. Bird Collector

Bird Collector Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    North Carolina
    I am with you. I clean my coop out every morning before the shower and work. The coop has pine bedding and I have a box of those plastic food gloves, double glove a hand and pick the droppings up put themin the bucket to be dumped in my compost tumbler. I have 18 chickens and they end up with like 4 piles under their roost, its quick and it stays cleaner and nicer espcially for when visitors come. Their outer run is dirt so I rake that out once a week. Happy chickens and big chicken momma.

10. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    6chicks&aduck :

Since winter came ,
    every day i clean the droppings up out of the shavings on the coop floor,
    and every second or third
    day i go through the straw in the run and clean up that too, its all frozen this time of year , so its easy to pick up.
    just dont like them to have to walk around in it ,

I do the same in the summer, but have sand in the run and use a kitty litter scoop to clean it up .
    i need to remake a dropping board for under the roosts .
    it does'nt seem like a pleasant job,[​IMG] but my birds sure enjoy the time im spending w them and they have become so much tamer ,
    enjoying a pet or a scratch [​IMG], pulling at my boot laces and zippers on my coveralls lol. and most of all jumping on me !!![​IMG]
    for me its been a great way to get to know my birds personalities too !

Just wondering if anyone else does this type of maintenance ?

I pick up in my coop and run daily, pretty much as you described. It takes me only a few minutes in the morning and again in the evening. Keeps the area clean, and gives me a chance to observe my chickens for any unusual behavior.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by