Am I panicking??? My Jersey Giant "Gladys"... I think???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NortonKittyOllie, Jan 22, 2010.

1. NortonKittyOllie

NortonKittyOllie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Hi all,

I have a Jersey Giant chicken who is nearly 4 mos. old. "She" is very docile, I never see her spar with the other chickens, and "she" does not have that extra spur toe (I think that's what it's called) that roosters get. Obviously, "she" is not done growing (I read that they mature much later than other chickens) and if she WAS a rooster, she's not old enough to crow.

My concern is, "her" tail feathers look suspiciously rooster"ish". There are about 3 longish feathers that do the classic rooster tail feather curl. The feathers don't stand up straight into the air when she walks and when she perches, the feathers sort of droop.

Do ALL roosters get the spur toe? I can't tell by online reference photos.

... Am I just panicking prematurely? Is my only option at this point to wait and see if "she" crows or lays an egg?

Thanks![​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  2. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I love Jersey Giants. You will have a big puppy dog if you cuddle her a lot.

I am not an expert, but I would think about now, that one could tell if it was a rooster or not. I wish I could have a rooster. If I did, it would be a JG. My big JG girlÂ’s tail kind of curves over. It is definitely different from the AustralorpsÂ’ tails. [​IMG]

3. NortonKittyOllie

NortonKittyOllie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Gladys cock-a-doodle-dooed this morning. (sigh)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by