Am I paranoid?? I'm starting to think she's a HE?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by herocomplex, Apr 24, 2008.

1. herocomplex

herocomplex Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    Fayetteville, AR
    I'm raising 2 beautiful Ameraucanas, Maude and Eleanor of peep-show fame (sagehobbs.is-a-geek.com:8081 ), and I'm starting to get paranoid after reading the other postings of roo fears. Since I've only got 2, it complicates things much more if my Maude is really a Mathias.

Ok, now they're only 17 days old, so please bear with me. I can so completely understand why so many people are so scared that their little layin' hen is a rooster, especially living in town. When can you REALLY tell the difference between pullets and roos?

Maude is maturing a bit faster anyway, and is at the top of their two tier pecking ladder. But, I can't help wondering, or fearing, that my grand plans have a big rooster wrench thrown in them. Just tell me that I'm a worried daddy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I don't think you're gonna be able to tell yet....I definately can't.....maybe someone else can, but I think you might have to be worried for another few weeks!

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I'm raising 2 beautiful Ameraucanas, Maude and Eleanor

It looks to me like the problem may be that the chick on top isn't an Ameraucana. That looks very much like a single comb instead of a pea comb? I can't tell what kind of comb the bottom one has, but that would certainly explain the bigger comb. There are tons of breeds with that chpimunk look as babies. It looks like mine that I THINK is a Brown Leghorn (a large combed breed).​

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  4. herocomplex

Apr 12, 2008
    Fayetteville, AR
    Thank god. Everything has been so perfect, darn it! Not a single case of pasty butt, spraddle leg, or every other crazy chickie problem. Though while Maude was perched on my shoulder today, she did sneeze on me about a dozen times...ewww.

I KNOW that I'm paranoid, but this is my first time with chickens and I want everything to work out.

*Crosses fingers, wishes for two happy blue-egg-layin' hens*

5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    *Crosses fingers, wishes for two happy blue-egg-layin' hens*

Seriously thinking you will have to be happy with ONE blue (or green) egg layer. I don't beleive there is any way she is an Ameraucana. Really. White and brown eggs are good too. [​IMG]

6. herocomplex

Apr 12, 2008
    Fayetteville, AR
    Quote:Well THAT would be interesting. I got them both from Orscheln as Ameraucanas. Never know though. I don't really know the difference between combs, can someone educate me?

I'm really not concerned with egg color, I'm very much concerned about having a lonely chicken.

Let me get another pic in for comparison.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Here are a couple of pics to show you the difference (in adult birds).
    The first one is my EE Miranda (pea comb). Sorry, it is kinda hard to see, but you can see it is small and low to her head......she is still young but has been laying for awhile.

[​IMG]

Next is a single comb. This is my Red Sex Link, Lily, and she is the same age as Miranda.

[​IMG]

See how your baby in question has this type of comb (in baby size). [​IMG]

Edit to say, since hatchery "Ameraucanas" are really EE's and are not up to breed standards, I am wondering if you could get one with the "wrong" type comb? I am sure someone else will know more on that than I do.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  8. herocomplex

Apr 12, 2008
    Fayetteville, AR
    Actually luvmychicknkids, while I have no idea how you can see that difference in combs in my little Maude, you've gotten me interested in the "Ameraucana" vs "Easter-Eggers" discussion. Personally, I don't really care if my chickies are "pure-bred" or pure mutt, but if Ameraucana is now considered a true breed, how does one differentiate between a true Ameraucana and a EE mutt? Sure, I hear "when you buy an Ameraucana, you normally get an EE", but what's the basis for this argument? And what makes an Ameraucana an Ameraucana?

9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Well, one comb looks a touch wider and lower to the head, one appears narrow, with small points, and sticks up. Yeah, they are tiny, but they are still very distinctly the type comb they will have for life. [​IMG] As for the EE arguement.......it is a matter of Hatcheries using mutt birds that don't generally meet breed requirements. I think one of the biggest ways to tell is color as most are not any recognized color. They can also lay pinkish eggs as opposed to a blue or green. I think more than anything, it boils down to, you can't say these chickens are going to look, act, lay, etc. a certain way, because they aren't an actual recognized breed. Whatever they are, I LOVE mine and wouldn't trade her for the world. You have two cuties there. [​IMG]

10. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    I've been reading your conversation-- I think you have at least two EEs there. I have a pair of them, and they both have greenish legs, as compared to the more usual pink or orange legs. Your two chicks have very green legs. My EE rooster has a pea comb, it looks like a red blob, while the hen's comb is tiny and indistinct, which in fact, looks exactly like my d'Uccle hen's combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by