Am I paranoid?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JacksFlock, Jul 12, 2010.

1. JacksFlock

JacksFlock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Maine
    A place nearby is selling their waterers and feeders. I need to get a larger feeder and waterer, but I'm paranoid of bringing in a disease from another place.

Is it best to just buy these items new?

2. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nothing wrong with recycling or bargains. Just sanitize whatever you get.

3. JacksFlock

JacksFlock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Maine
    Another stupid question: How do I properly sanitize these to assure I don't make my chicks sick?

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I scrub off anything caked on, soak in a bucket of bleach and water for about an hour, and then run through the dishwasher.

5. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    A 10% bleach solution is generally enough to do it. After the bleach solution, scrub with warm, soapy water and rinse well.

6. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Bargains! we all love a good bargain! Simply wash those used dishes in some hot, soapy water, then rinse in a mild bleach/water mix & rinse with plain water.

7. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I would scrub with soap and water, really blast them with a spray from a hose to make sure cracks and crevices are cleaned, then take them apart , soak in bleach water for a few hours , rinse well, and then leave in the sun for a few days. Sun is a great sanitizer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by